Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi! I'm new here! Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer

I have a 30gallon tank with 2 albino oscars and 1 jack Dempsey. All littles guys still, I'm just starting out. I've had fish tanks in the past. This is actually my smallest one but I live in a small apartment so its perfect for us right now.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi..welcome..!!😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome! Unfortunately your tank is massively overstocked, all of those fish require a 55 all to themselves.. I would rehome them and start fresh
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The woman at the fish store told me I had some time before I have to re-home them. I am moving in July and into a house and will be inheriting my mothers 200gallon tank. So they will be in a bigger home soon. Anyway I do have a question. How long after you do a water change should you check the PH and ammonia levels?? Before the water change they were both to high so I took out 45% of the water and am just curious. Please someone help me out here.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee7111 View Post
The woman at the fish store told me I had some time before I have to re-home them. I am moving in July and into a house and will be inheriting my mothers 200gallon tank. So they will be in a bigger home soon. Anyway I do have a question. How long after you do a water change should you check the PH and ammonia levels?? Before the water change they were both to high so I took out 45% of the water and am just curious. Please someone help me out here.
is this a new tank? Your true ph can be gathered 24 hrs after wc, you should test for amm before wc, say it's at 1 ppm you should do a 50% change to get it down to .5 and than another 30% to get it to safe levels. These oscars grow quick and make a huge mess, you should really take them back.. What do you have for filtration? Lfs employees are usually horrible in the advice department. They are yes people.. sales first..
Old 03-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Welcome!!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Jennifer and welcome.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It is a new tank. Since im used to bigger tanks, more fish. I was feeding them once a day thinkin that was ok but aparently the man at the fish store said thats probably what caused the levels to jump. I've had oscars in the past. I know how they are and how fast they grow. I'm not taking my fish back to the store they will be fine til I move, but thanks for your concern.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee7111 View Post
It is a new tank. Since im used to bigger tanks, more fish. I was feeding them once a day thinkin that was ok but aparently the man at the fish store said thats probably what caused the levels to jump. I've had oscars in the past. I know how they are and how fast they grow. I'm not taking my fish back to the store they will be fine til I move, but thanks for your concern.
sorry to jump in your post like that.. I just have a soft spot for oscars I'm sure you'll give then a great run!! Don't feed them hot dogs though.. As much as they want them it's a big nono..

Tags
intro, wanted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com