Hi - im new to this fish stuff
About 2 months ago I decided to get a Beta and put him in a really cool empty crystal skull vodka bottle. Since then I got a 29g beginner setup with a few different fish. Nobody told me this was such a cool little hobby. I started with a bad mix of fish but no fish were killed thankfully lol.
My first set up was a Beta, 5 Blue Rams, a Pleco, and 4 Angels. I know, I know. It was cool for a couple weeks then one of the Angels grew pretty fast and got aggressive with the other fish. It nipped some of the Betas fins off so I gave the Beta to a friend. Things were calm again so I added 2 Pictus Cats and everything was fine for about a week and then I added 3 Rosy Barbs, this is when things started to really get going. A couple problems started at the same time. The mutant Angel kept growing it got braver and started nipping at the cats which I thought would chill at the bottom. Maybe they were annoying the Angels swimming up and down, I'm finding Pictus are very active. I determined the Angel are too aggressive species as I want a social aquarium. I was able to trade 3 of the 4 Angels back for 2 Gourami's (1-pearl, 1-regular). I think this will be an ok set up for now as the Barbs seem to school up with the Rams but my girlfriend has told me she's seem the biggest of the Barbs nipping at the cats. I also made the mistake of letting add a small goldfish cuz she thought it as cute. I've seen the Barbs nip at it during feeding. It was in the last week or so I decided to really start researching the fish I have rather than going by the word of the dealer along with looks of the fish.
I think I have an idea about what to do next and i am very open to suggestions.
1) upgrade to a 55-75g I'm waiting until my girlfriend and I move in together so I can set up and transfer no problem. Within a few months.
2) immediately start feeding my Pleco wafers as I read they should not be added until after about 6 months.
3) I found the 3 Rosy Barbs are now the most aggressive fish in the aquarium and I read they are far calmer when in a school so I'm thinking of getting a few more. I think they are all males according to what I read so should I get 4+ females?
4) the 1 Angel I kept I'm sure it's retarded, he just stays at the top staring all day, He's also a runt and I don't consider him a threat.
5) I have some plants but think I need to add more, I guess the Rams and Cats really like them.
I enjoyed looking at some of the pics of other aquariums here I'm getting a lot of ideas for my next upgrade. I see lots of chat too and am open to suggestions. I like Cichlids but don't want to have to give all these guys up to make a straight Cichlids setup. Working with what I have I would like to get a little community going. Any suggestions of what I could add? I'm already getting the feeling I may need loose the Barbs, even though a school would look cool.