Hi I'm Sam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammers411

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the world of fish. I want to be a zoologist but it doesn't seem to be working out. Haha maybe I could get some advice on how to keep my fish happy and healthy. Thank you.

Sammers411 said:
I am new to the world of fish. I want to be a zoologist but it doesn't seem to be working out. Haha maybe I could get some advice on how to keep my fish happy and healthy. Thank you.

Welcome to AA

Welcome to AA
Thank you :) I have two tiger fish I used to have three but one recently died and I'm not ure why. For awhile it was swimming vertically in place. And then it started swming upside down and stuff like it couldn't control it's swimming. Please help.

Sammers411 said:
Thank you :) I have two tiger fish I used to have three but one recently died and I'm not ure why. For awhile it was swimming vertically in place. And then it started swming upside down and stuff like it couldn't control it's swimming. Please help.

Maybe it's bloated?

Sammers411 said:

How big is ur tank...how long had u had the fish

Would the fish die if it's bloated? And I'm pretty sure I have a 10 gallon tank. And now I am scared that the same thig will happen to my other fish but they don't have any symptoms.

Sammers411 said:
Would the fish die if it's bloated? And I'm pretty sure I have a 10 gallon tank. And now I am scared that the same thig will happen to my other fish but they don't have any symptoms.

It's proply bc the tank is over stocked.. Wht is ur stocking list

Best thing to do is lots and lots of research, especially if you want to be a zoologist. Google reputable sites (ones by universities journals etc), borrow from the library, find out as much as you can, then when you think you know it all... start researching again!

Stocking level? I feel tht I am doing the research. But I guess you can never research enough. Haha. Fish are so fragile. I guess I didnt realize how fragile they really were. And I don't have a filter or a heater. They are tiger barbs and I read that they don't need that stuff.

Sammers411 said:

if its bloated, it shouldn't die. It just ate too much. You could hold back feeding or feed a little less for awhile, till he goes back to normal. Some say feeding them half a pea helps, but I haven't tried that.

Sammers411 said:
Stocking level? I feel tht I am doing the research. But I guess you can never research enough. Haha. Fish are so fragile. I guess I didnt realize how fragile they really were. And I don't have a filter or a heater. They are tiger barbs and I read that they don't need that stuff.

Stocking is the type of fish you have in your tank and the amount. A filter is a must for all fish, or you would have to do a lot of water changes.

I have two tiger barbs. And I do change their water often. Every other day or every two days. And Everytime I even put my hand near the tank they freak out. And I want them to be happy and healthy. And I don't want them to get hurt because their owner is stupid ya know?

Sammers411 said:
I have two tiger barbs. And I do change their water often. Every other day or every two days. And Everytime I even put my hand near the tank they freak out. And I want them to be happy and healthy. And I don't want them to get hurt because their owner is stupid ya know?

I would say purchase a filter. Doing too many water changes could stress them out, and save you time from changing water all the time. Trust me, it is worth the investment and is almost a necessity in fish keeping. Filters also usually hold the beneficial bacteria needed in the tank.

Ok. Do you have any recommendations for filters? It just kills me to see them like this.

I have always used canister filters but they can get a little pricey, a lot of people like HOB ( hang on back ) filters especially with a bio wheel but some people say they are noisy, I can't comment as I have never owned 1. Also depending where you are from depends on the need for a heater, have you got any way to measure the temp? It is fairly important to certain bacteria and also some fish illness like ick for example.

Sammers411 said:

U need a filter and a heater if u really want healthy fish

Back
Top Bottom