Hi! Is this ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lydia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! I bought a 55gal already established freshwater tank about 4 months ago. I am fairly new to the fish keeping world and just want to make sure what I have in there for fish is alright. I have researched it quite a bit but there are so many conflicting ideas that I just don't know what to believe. This Is what I have..

1 mystis catfish... About 7"
1 African butterfly
1 poly seredonis "dinosaur eel" about 4"
2 medium sized angels
4 platys
2 Siamese algae eaters (which are false according to what I have researched)
1 "zebra" pleco according to lfs but it's not.
1 scissortail
1 I can't remember what he is called picella or something? Don't get big.

My friend bought us a blood parrot cichlid and I was wondering if he would be a good mix or if I should expect trouble. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Hey everyone! I bought a 55gal already established freshwater tank about 4 months ago. I am fairly new to the fish keeping world and just want to make sure what I have in there for fish is alright. I have researched it quite a bit but there are so many conflicting ideas that I just don't know what to believe. This Is what I have..

1 African butterfly
2 medium sized angels
4 platys
1 scissortail

My friend bought us a blood parrot cichlid and I was wondering if he would be a good mix or if I should expect trouble. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Hello. Welcome to the forum!
That is some mix... I do not know much about a few of those species. Do you mean Pristella tetra by any chance? Somebody who knows more about some of those species will have to chime in to give you some better help, but I can still say WELCOME!

Yes! That's it! Pristella. I couldn't think of it for the life of me. Thank you! And thanks for the welcome!

Yes! That's it! Pristella. I couldn't think of it for the life of me. Thank you! And thanks for the welcome!
No prob. Ok, so Pristella are schooling fihs and they need to be in groups of at least 6 to be happy. I would recommend re-homing him rathyer than getting him friends. I believe your dinosaur eel will eat him someday anyway. I might be wrong there though. Your catfish would probaly eat him too. I don't think I would keep the platys in there either. I will have to do some double checking on this though. So, don't quote me yet! :)
I know what you mean about conflicting info. I still have the same issue sometimes! I will find books and websites that say dramatically different things. People on here tend to have very different opinions too sometimes, but it helps to ask to has experience actually keeping the fish in question. I think we agree a fair amount too though!

The pristella came with the tank along with the mystis and the scissortail. The pristella and the scissortail have paired up and they seem to be pretty happy! It's kinda funny, they are the misfits of the tank and always together. The mystis could eat him, I mean he is certainly big enough to do so, but I have never seen him make a move at anyone in the tank other than his pellets. He is very passive. I do agree that the Dino eel could end up eating him, but I feed crickets to the butterfly fish and the Dino eel has certainly developed a liking for those as well. I have never seen him make a move toward any fish but re-homing the pristella might be best eventually. Thanks again for all your input! This is exactly why I got this app and signed up!!

:welcome: to AA! :)

1 African butterfly
2 medium sized angels
4 platys
1 scissortail

Hmm you sound quite overstocked IMO. I know the bichir may outgrow the tank, as will the pleco if it's a common plec. The african butterfly shouldn't be with anything that will fit in it's mouth, it's highly predatory.
Those two angels if they're a pair could easily kill your fish if they decided to spawn. Your scissortail and pristella tetra need bigger schools.

The pristella came with the tank along with the mystis and the scissortail. The pristella and the scissortail have paired up and they seem to be pretty happy! It's kinda funny, they are the misfits of the tank and always together. The mystis could eat him, I mean he is certainly big enough to do so, but I have never seen him make a move at anyone in the tank other than his pellets. He is very passive. I do agree that the Dino eel could end up eating him, but I feed crickets to the butterfly fish and the Dino eel has certainly developed a liking for those as well. I have never seen him make a move toward any fish but re-homing the pristella might be best eventually. Thanks again for all your input! This is exactly why I got this app and signed up!!
No prob. Its all up to you, but I am just going to say that the Pristella and scissor-tail are naturally schoolers. They do need a full school to be happy. They are hanging out together since they do not have any more of their own species. Thats actually a sign of them being stressed, not happy, in my opinion. Schooling fish without a school tend to have shorter lives since they get stressed out from feeling insecure in my experience.
It good that your predatory fish haven't even them yet, but don't hold your breath that it will never happen.

Ok well thanks for your advise! I'll have to figure something out.

Back
Top Bottom