Hi, Just getting started with all this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all i'm new to all this just set up my 60 litre Biorb, keeping it very simple with a cold water setup. I was going to get goldfish, but was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for cold water fish that are good to start with. As i have read, keeping fish can be a lot more complicated than i first thought but i have done a bit of research and am willing to learn! :)

White minnows are a good starting cold water fish:) I wouldn't do a goldfish in that size of a tank, they need around a 80 liter tank. You could also go tropical as well with just the nice little addition of a small heater. Very simple and cheap and now you'd have almost 10x the amount of fish available to you! Oh and welcome to AA! We're glad to have aboard:welcome:

Thankyou i didn't realise that about goldfish, see i'm a complete beginner! I shall do a little more research :)

+1 for getting a heater and going tropical

+1 for avoiding gold fish

I started with a sub 30L tank and originally wanted a cold set up, after finding out there were next to no fish I could keep like that I quickly decided on going for a warm tank.

Heaters aren't very expensive and can really open up the range of fish you can keep.

Have decided to go tropical, have to wait to get a heater (although the waiting's killing me!) and then i'll start to cycle the tank patience is the key i belive :)

You can start the cycle without the heater, bacteria are pretty hardy to temp changes.. But certainly you can't rush this hobby!

Will the heater not speed up the process slightly or does it not make much difference? I already have some ammonia and getting the Api master test kit tomorrow as i have the strips so i figure i should get the better kit

It will speed up the cycle yes, but starting it now then adding a heater later when you get one will give your tank a few days head start... Might not make much difference in the long run but it's a few days I suppose...

The API master kit is a great investment, although I found when following the directions I got through the reagents rather quickly. If you have the means to you can scale the whole thing down. IE use half the amount of water for half the amount of reagent, or any other fraction. I nicked a load of stuff from where I work so the most I use for any test is 2.5ml of water, and 1ml for the pH tests.. I find the kit lasts about 2-3 times as long this way....

AmyD said:
Will the heater not speed up the process slightly or does it not make much difference? I already have some ammonia and getting the Api master test kit tomorrow as i have the strips so i figure i should get the better kit

First about the heater. If you are trying to build the bacteria in your tank you probably are using a fish or other critter to help in the process. These animals do require a certain temp range to survive. Second make sure you are getting the right heater for your tank. Read reviews and make a educated decision. I used a submersible heater that ended up shorting out and shock my fish and myself.

In my years of testing water. Test strips have been a good way to get a quick look at your water quality. But not a accurate one.

Look up (on here) 'The (almost) complete guide and FAQ to fishless cycling'. This is what i plan to follow and hopefully it goes to plan as i have never done this before!

Back
Top Bottom