Hi just joined

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allimalli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there my name is Allison from Nottinghamshire UK
and although I am interested in fish I don't really have a great knowledge. I have a 110L freshwater tank and worry that it is too small having read some of the comments on the forum! At the moment I have 5 mollies 2 tiny sharks 1 scissor fish 1japanise fighter but most important and my concern is I have 2 plecs one of which is about 5 inches long.

Sent from my A200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you Delapool looking forward to some expert advise!!

Yeah, I have same problem. I have 3 male b/n catfish that are 4 inches long. They mostly get along as the tank is 4ft with caves but at feeding time they squabble.

Mine don't fight but my worry is my tank is too small for them, its 110litre I have two beautiful specimens not sure of sex one is about 2" and the other is as I say about 5"

It does sound borderline to me. Ime if you are looking at the tank and think they are too large, then they probably are. My neighbour had one at 5 or 6 inches and it had just out grown the tank setup and decorations.

Welcome to AA! :)

If they are "common" plecos or the like they will unfortunately outgrow your tank rather quickly.

Thanks folks just had a month of fish trauma from hell! Had to move my tank from one room to another so managed that as directed by our local expert. Then a few days later ... Two dead fish followed by another two then my Siamese fighter died. Checked everything again and discovered the temp was down to 23deg yes the heater had failed. I'm heartbroken my lovely fish now in my pet cemetery. All seems well now so keeping my fingers crossed but not buying any more fish u til I'm sure all is well. Plecs are OK by the way!!!

Sorry to hear that. I've had a heater fail before except mine over heated water cause it wouldn't shut off. Also regarding plecos here is a pic I took of a tank at my LFS. The plecos in this tank were about 20 inches.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413989862.314678.jpg

Welcome

Hi. I am new to this site also. Have never been to the UK but want to go someday. I guess you have a 29 gal, or at least thats what my math says. I think your pleco will be fine health wise for now. I had one that got to be 10" in a 29. The problem being that in his wilder moments he was tearing up my tank. Finally gave him to someone with a bigger tank.

But they are extremely hardy. Here in Kansas we are facing problems with them being found in our rivers. Foolish hobbyists tossing them in. They have found some that were 3 feet long. But they are bad for our rivers.

Hope your tank will settle down and be happy forever more, and again...Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom