Hi, Lucky Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodpreston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to announce and introduce myself as a Newbie.

Hi, My name is Rodney, I have recently acquired a 4' 75 gallon Tank, Stand and Most of the accompanying goodies. I would like to explain that this full setup was given away, through a very kind Member of FreeCycle Australia, whom wanted to allow another person to embrace and share her enthusiasm and enjoyment of the world of Fish keeping and Aquariums. Thank you for your generosity.

Its my greatest intention to keep a Amazon Basin/South American Themed Community Tank and I am currently researching the most appropriate species.

I have chosen the theme to maximise the use of our Rain/Tank water, which is wonderfully clean, free of pollutants and very soft water.

I have only started Cycling my New Aquarium on 12/04/2014 and found my GH and KH were both less than 1d. As with the fish, understanding the water chemistry is as much of a hobby as the actually keeping of the "fish" So my First 10 weeks will be watching and learning the correlations in the water parameters, and the affects. Well this is my stage 1.

I am useing the fishless cycling, interesting concept, particular as pure ammonia is either not easily available or not available at all in Queensland from any sources I know, so, back to fishflakes/fishfood. Any other soloutions would be appreciated.

I yesterday added 5 teaspoons of Bicarbonate Soda to bring the KH to 5 and today for a trial added 1 teaspoon of potassium Chloride/Ammonium Chloride/Tri Calcium Phosphate, hopefully bringing the GH up a degree or 2.

As I have no fish or plants, this I think is an excellent time to play around and learn the correct measurements and affects on my Tank. I am at this stage not concerned to much on the PH as the tank cycles.

Eventually I would like to learn organic ways to introduce and Stabilise, the incoming macronutrients, KH and GH, thus minimising any spikes in my water parameters that could adversely affect any soft water fish.

At this stage I am also keeping a spreadsheet and log of the water parameters and as I go along will keep notes etc, I am quite OCD with notekeeping and records, interesting bonus for learning new hobbies.

Obviously I haven't written everything I have learnt of Late (be here for hours) and Im a many of little words... I love this forum for its ease of use, practical views and the multitudes of interesting threads, so thankyou in advanced for any advice, suggestion or general conversations that we embark on.

I would love to somewhat regulary post with my tanks parameters to help me keep informed.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom