Hi, need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank cycling with fish :/ I know what a meanie...but too late now. Nitrite is super high...greater than 5 ppm been using prime daily. Last night I just added about a cap full to a gallon of water and added half the gallon to the tank. I wanted to do a water change but had no time...i have 3 small children so it can get a bit crazy here. Now I have time so I want to know how much water should I change safely so I don't kill my 2 guppies and 2 cories? I feel the prime is what is keeping these little fellas alive. I've been changing about 10 gallons every couple days and adding prime then, and on the days I can't do a water change. Here are my readings: ammonia <.25, nitrites >5, nitrates about 40-60. I use thee API test kit.

Last edited:
Do 50% water changes to get that number down. Back to back of you have to.

Even a 75% water change. Water changes will not harm your fish. Those levels will. Don't just keep adding Prime. Add it when doing your water changes.

I did a fish in cycle in my 55g. It can be done of your willing to put the time in.

Thanks, just did a water change. 15 gallons. Guessing it's a little more than 50% with all the decor and what not. Brought levels down to .50 for nitrite, and 10 for nitrate. Going to try to do another pwc before bed. Will these frequent wc's prolong my cycle? In your opinion would you say my cycle is almost complete? I learned the hard way that patience is the key...wish I didn't sacrifice so many little fishies :( I now know better after losing 5 guppies and 2 cories. Can't wait to get these guys some buddies! The cories sure are fun to watch I will be starting up another tank as soon as I fix it up. This time I will do fishless cycle and be patient. Glad I will have lots of good bacteria to seed the new tank with :) thanks again for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom