Hi ....new here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty2freshy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got an email stating I should say hi and explained my tanks so here I go..

180 gallon used to be reef tank a year ago ,you will be able to tell from set up!

Light system---

3 x 150 watt HQI
Two 1 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow 470nm LED lamps
Built in cooling fan
10,000K HQI Lamp included
True Actinic 03 Blue Power compact lamps

Filter----

400 sump with bio balls
Marineland canister 100 gallon

Pump
Turbo 1250

Just started turning it into a planted tank,plan on adding co2 system as soon as I figure out best one to buy and how to use them properly...
So there you have it...also have a 40 gallon corner tank nothing exciting besides its in a wall and has glow fish set up for the kids my kids....

Welcome to AA! 180g planted tank sounds nice... post a journal/pics in the Planted Tanks sub forum :)

BTW, are you going to change out the actinic lighting to something more plant friendly (closer to 6500K)?

Welcome to AA! 180g planted tank sounds nice... post a journal/pics in the Planted Tanks sub forum :)

BTW, are you going to change out the actinic lighting to something more plant friendly (closer to 6500K)?

Probably not since I'm running 3x 150 watt metal halides with it I'm sure that's more then enough light!!! And I like the blue at night for about an hour before lunar lights go one!!!

Welcome to AA. Sounds like a big project. Check out Rivercats huge planted tank(s) and many others!:welcome:

That's one of the reasons I decided to join = ) somehow I ran across the forum looking up stuff about planted tanks! = ) love the site!

picture of my tank

86509-albums13525-picture63920.jpg

I made a diy co2 yesterday not to sure if its defusing good enough or not but man its pumping out the co2

Wow! I love that setup! I have done diy co2 using 2 liter soda bottles, I like how you used jars instead. It looks more stable than 2 liters do! It looks like it's doing it's job in the tank too. I love seeing all of those bubbles! Are your plants pearling yet? That's how you know it's really doing well. :)

Wow! I love that setup! I have done diy co2 using 2 liter soda bottles, I like how you used jars instead. It looks more stable than 2 liters do! It looks like it's doing it's job in the tank too. I love seeing all of those bubbles! Are your plants pearling yet? That's how you know it's really doing well. :)

No not yet just added it to my tank yesterday mid day ..but I hope it does...? How long does that mixer usually last? ....and I used the mason jars because I cann and had them available ,plus being someone who's always baking I had the yeast and a 25 lb bag of sugar ,so I found it very convenient to make = ) ,but of course had to go buy tubing check valve and connecter lol

It's a bit iffy on how often to change the mixture, I've never had it on an aquarium bigger than 55 gallons. Normally, a mixture will last about 4-5 days. Often times on bigger aquariums, you would need a few other co2 setups to accommodate the size. You might check with someone that has more recent knowledge because it's been a few years since I've had my own co2 setup. :) It's worth it though! I was thinking of using a 5 gallon bucket this time around so that I don't have to have so many bottles around- but i have to research it more and see if it's doable.

It's a bit iffy on how often to change the mixture, I've never had it on an aquarium bigger than 55 gallons. Normally, a mixture will last about 4-5 days. Often times on bigger aquariums, you would need a few other co2 setups to accommodate the size. You might check with someone that has more recent knowledge because it's been a few years since I've had my own co2 setup. :) It's worth it though! I was thinking of using a 5 gallon bucket this time around so that I don't have to have so many bottles around- but i have to research it more and see if it's doable.

Thank you for the info = ) I guess I will just wait and see.....

Back
Top Bottom