Hi - new here and wondering about shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bovbov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I'm new to this fishkeeping lark and I have an 8 litre (2 gallons) and was wonderring if I could have shrimp, I am planning to add a picture tomorrow. Also I have one live plant a marimo ball and a fake fern. Thanks :)

I currently have two tetras? And was planning on a siamese fighter but have know changed my mind due to tank:) are shrimp fun an low maintanince? Also could I get a quite large shrimp, like amano?

welcome to AA

tetras are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 6-7+. they are also very active swimmers, which is why I would recommend nothing smaller than a 10g tank for any tetra species (some 20g).

IMO, shrimp or snails would be the only appropriate choices for a 2g tank.

Bovbov said:
What are IMO? I haven't seen them here in England?

It means In My Opinion

I agree that shrimp and snails are about it. Not even a Betta. They have a five gallon minimum.

Ohhh :/ I wondered what everyone was on about! Silly me ! Should I leave the Tetras? they were my friends and he kept them as a pair for over a year?

Bovbov said:
Ohhh :/ I wondered what everyone was on about! Silly me ! Should I leave the Tetras? they were my friends and he kept them as a pair for over a year?

The tetras need a bigger tank, and a proper school. Either an upgrade or a rehoming would be best for the fish.

Bettababe1011 said:
The tetras need a bigger tank, and a proper school. Either an upgrade or a rehoming would be best for the fish.

I totally agree. they won't be happy in that tiny of a tank and with only two. they should be in a 10g (maybe even 20g nut it's debatable) with at least 5 more of their own kind. you really can't appreciate tetras unless they are in proper schooling numbers anyway.

Bovbov said:
Oh dear, I don't know what to do now :( when do you think shrimp will be possible?

It's the perfect excuse for a new tank!!

I'm not sure if you'd need to cycle the tank for shrimp or if their bioload is too small. Wait for someone else to answer! Lol.

get a 20g long tank :D that would give you tons of options. it would be easy to plant, then you could school up your tetras and it would look gorgeous!

you could even just get a 10g. at least they would have room to swim around.

mommytron said:
get a 20g long tank :D that would give you tons of options. it would be easy to plant, then you could school up your tetras and it would look gorgeous!

you could even just get a 10g. at least they would have room to swim around.

Unfortunately moneys tight for another tank :/ I wouldn't have took them if he wasn't desperate or I didn't know :(

This is all very hard keeping fish :(

Bovbov said:
Unfortunately moneys tight for another tank :/ I wouldn't have took them if he wasn't desperate or I didn't know :(

This is all very hard keeping fish :(

Keeping fish gets easier when you learn more. A word of advice:

Always take what the fish store says for a grain of salt until proven true. They are a business, and most of them aren't above killing fish to get a sale. :(

So, come ask us. We don't get any money out of you, we just want to help you and your fish be happy and relatively stress free. ;)

Bovbov said:
Thanks everyone I really don't know what to do with them ;(

Check Craigslist. You can sometimes get really good deals there. Or Walmart has ten gallons for about thirty bucks.

Back
Top Bottom