Hi, new member here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nolefanpa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just joined this site and also posted an album of a group of pics of my aquarium set up, as well as other pics of one or more of the eight crabs who are in my aquarium. I was looking to buy some type of pet for my daughter because the dog at her mom's had to be put to sleep. She has a few beta fish, a goldfish, and we have a parakeet who is a nice bird as far as singing and chirping. My daughter was looking at dog/cat/rabbit, to which I was very much not going for as I know who would be left to take care of it on the days when she isn't with me and if I ever want to go away for a few days..enough said. While at the pet store there was a "God send"..a pet different enough to capture her interest and yet something that Dad will enjoy as well, especially being the level of care/expense is about as user friendly as any pet ever....red clawed crabs. So I bought a 10 gallon aquarium on sale for $12.00, stones for 7.99, a dish for food for $1.59, a pump for $12.99, and the aquarium cover on clearance for $7.00. Food and sea salt for another $8 and we have the perfect pets at $2.49 apiece. We bought two that day, then went for another one the next day, but came home with the two that were left at the store so "the last one wouldn't be at the pet store alone, Daddy". Since then we have added an extra one here and there. We currently have 8 in a 10 gallon aquarium. I think that is about maximum amount I would want. I set up their habitat according to things I read and picked up online. They seem to be doing great and I have had two moltings, which is a good sign. I am interested in learning more about these and will share what works for me in their care. I see myself having these pets for years to come. If you have RCC's and want to drop me a line, do so and I will share what I have experienced and help problem solve so I can learn as well.

Hey there, Welcome to AA. I kept RCC for a while. Be careful that they do not have access to any cords to climb out of the tank because they will do just that. escape artist is what they are!!

Thanks Shark Bait

Shark Bait,
Thanks for the welcome and your reply. Yes, I have a folding aquarium cover the one side has a plastic strip that allows the plug of the filter to fit out of the tank. I haven't seen any of them climb anything other than the two fake palm trees I have in there. A couple of them love to climb those trees and one of the trees is a favorite lookout post for one of the females. The chord kind of comes out of the top of the filter and I am not sure if any of them are big enough to get on top of the filter. I do have a question though for anyone out there. If there are fiddler crabs and RCC's together, will they get along or will they fight?

Thanks shark, appreciate the information. That's what I thought and from what I read the fiddlers are bigger. So far the rcc's seem to be happy with their setup and I don't have any real fighting. The biggest one will chase the others away if they crowd him or become pesty. He isn't aggressive, won't chase them around the tank, nothing like that. It is only if he is sitting in his favorite spot by the filter and one of the others comes over and climbs on him or pests him, he will send them the message to get lost..actually funny to watch. I am having lots of fun with them.

Shark
Yes, there are several areas at different parts of the tank where stones are above water level and in the middle of the tank I have an old piece of a brick that is also above water level. I took the brick and put it in boiling water to get rid of any germs before I put it in the tank. I also have two fake palm trees that I got at a boardwalk shop and they will climb in those trees, especially the one femele. I did read on this website where they are best suited to have both underwater and be on dry. They seem to like to be near the pump and often will sit with only their two eyes out of the water..pretty funny. I am really enjoying them and really like the fact that they have been very easy as far as care. I posted pics before and took a few more pics of my set up yesterday. I am going to try to add them to my pics on here today.

Thanks Fishy. Hey Fishy and Shark, I just went tonight and got a separate tank and set up for 7 fiddler crabs. So I have two aquariums side by side, one with rcc's and the other with fiddlers. The fiddlers had some standing off for dominance but now they have been in the aquarium for about an hour and a half and they are no longer doing that. They look as if they are happier. Will post pics.

Back
Top Bottom