Hi- new to app Guppy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trw2014

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
New to the app but joined as it seems a good place to get some sound advice. I am having some issues in my larger tank where my guppies are having there tails nipped. Is there much I can do? Also who might be the main culprit?
Thanks
:fish1:

Welcome to AA! :)
What other fish do you have with your guppies? What size is the tank they're in and what are the water parameters? Knowing these things will help determine the cause of the fish nipping. Luckily, most fins will grow back, but if it's preventable, it's in the fish's best interest to handle it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397853667.361375.jpg

Thought I would attach a picture of the tank, I do regular test on the water I have no ammonia issues
Nitrate are generally around 40/80 ppm
Nitrite normally 0ppm
Ph around 7.5
Carbonate hardness 80 ppm
General hardness 180 ppm

Hope this is useful, thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Just in case useful and you haven't seen this link may help. Also worth getting something like API master freshwater test kit so you have the ammonia test as well (and it's more accurate then cardboard strips).

http://www.aqadvisor.com

Edit - sorry just saw the ammonia on re-reading. I'll go get some morning coffee now :)

No probs, thanks for posting the link. So many different sites say so many different things.... Granted I know my tank is probably at its limit for fish, but like so many others I'm quite new to aquariums (more used to ponds) and would like to think I'm ok with general water quality, my concern was more based on whether or not I could have a nipper in the tank and out if the list who was more likely to be the main culprit?

Again any help or advise good or bad would be very much appreciated.

If just small nips on males I'd suspect 'in house' with the guppies. Is it just long flowing fins or all guppies?

At the top of my mind, I know that barbs are nippy fish. Some of the tetras maybe as well. It would be hard to pin it down on exactly who is but definitely would start with the barbs.

I would say you are over stocked and this could he causing the fish to be stressed and nippy.
Danios, neons, penguin tetras, runnynose tetras and the clown loaches all need to be in groups of 6 or more, this could also be causing the problem...
Also, the clown loach will get far too big for a 96 litre...
This is why your nitrates are quite high also...
Sorry to be a downer but i would say that re-homing or selling some of these fishies would make the ones you keep a lot happier :)

Back
Top Bottom