hi new today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licklemsjojo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all
My other half is keeping fish is very new to it all .
We have 2 platies and we did ask for 2 males but a month later the newest fish looks ready to give birth !
I'll try and upload a photo so someone can give me their opinion
1350364203399.jpg
He / she has always been bigger than the older one but this is just silly bigger now
Could it be pregnant ?? And how long they pregnant for ?
I do know that they give birth to live babies
Thanks in advance

Judging by the picture it looks to be a female, the fish in the back I cannot tell very well.
Gestation period for livebearers is generally 28 days. And as the pregnancy progresses she will become very gravid and square off.
A gravid spot is a dark spot located near the anal fin and it will become darker over time this is where the fry are located.
To square off is a term often used around here :) what it basically is - is the shape the female will take as she gets closer to dropping. Instead of having a round belly, when she comes closer to labor it will look square almost boxy looking
Example:

ForumRunner_20121017_030919.jpg

Now this is of a guppy but its the same concept. Notice how she looks more squared than the normal round look? This is what you want to look for :)

Good luck! Oh and of course,
~*Welcome to AA*~

Back
Top Bottom