Hi �� New with new 3 foot tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitloop1376

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I’m Dawn I’m a 42 year old single mum from Merseyside UK I’ve just bought my first 3 ft tropical tank I had a tank about 17 years ago but my ex husband did everything with it so this is my first it came with sicce external tank I havnt done anything with it yet , any advice anyone can give me on am I better with a different filter ? And which heater is good also wot is the best thing to put on the bottom and any tips in which plants should be in there I’m hoping to find out everything I need to no to keep fish happy and finding a friend for myself along the way but be great xx

Hi. What size if your tank? If you don't know you can measure out the diameter and plug the numbers in here --->Aquarium Volume Calculator
As for the filter is it a canister or Hang on back filter? Either should be fine as long as it's strong enough for what you want in there.
Plant wise there are a ton of easy to care for live plants https://aquariumadviser.com/10-best-plants-for-freshwater-aquarium/
You can also go for the fake silk plant route or mix the two for extra colour.

Welcome to the community! There are many options for a tank of 3 feet! Try visiting the lfs several times, and seeing which ones are the most interesting. Research them and use that info the next visit to the lfs.

Fish can require different water types, pH, temp, hardness or softness, and tank inhabitants can need groups or need to be kept by themselves, or pairs or trios, lol.

Find your favorite fish types and build the tank around them!!!

Some like rocky substrate, some sand. Lower light, slower or fast flow of water.

Plants and cover or hideouts in rocks.

Many fabulous choices!!!

Check out the link in my signature for an article of all the basics and some great pointers!

Back
Top Bottom