Hi People!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karen21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an Aquastart 60litre tank.
I've had problems, as I didn't do my research ..:(
I have learnt a LOT, the hard way unfortunately..
I welcome ALL constructive advice.:)

Hope I can BE helped, and in the future HELP!:flowers:

Welcome Aboard!

Yep, you're not the first to learn it the hard way (me either :p) and we won't be the last, but it sounds like you're figuring it out and that's the important part.

Tell us about you 16g tank and feel free to ask about anything, as there's lots of people here with a vast knowledge base to help you out.

Welcome Aboard!

Yep, you're not the first to learn it the hard way (me either :p) and we won't be the last, but it sounds like you're figuring it out and that's the important part.

Tell us about you 16g tank and feel free to ask about anything, as there's lots of people here with a vast knowledge base to help you out.

Thank you for the welcome Mr Limpet.
My tank only has, 5 neon, 4 guppies, 2 platys, and 5 baby platies..(soon to leave to the local petshop) and 1 shrimp now...:(

I have LOADS of Q,s and will bore you all stupid!:oops:
I need advice on the best "cleaner-fish" firstly.. (Always aware I have a small tank.) I had a sucker loach,(It got terratorial..) I also had a beautiful, hardworking Plec,(too large for my tank.) I lost my Plec. I desperately need help on selection of a good cleaner fish.. my tank nitrates went way up when my Plec died and my loach went..
Secondly, best price on a combi water testing kit.. (My latest obsession..) Needed, as a borrowed kit showed Nitrates 20+ Done a big water change, and now 10ish.... ph perfect, and amonia fine.

For test kits, the API master kit is the best IMO. It's about 32 bucks and is easily worth it. As for suckerfish, ottos are awesome cleaners, they just need well established tanks. Ghost shrimp and nerite will also help clean.

Hey, welcome to AA, if you like the shrimp thet have very low bioload to te tank and work very well as a clean up crew, maybe get a couple more.

Test kit wise, API master kit is one highly recommended here. Its not available where I live, but its very good.

Thank you Homedog! I will look into finding ottos! Can you tell me if they/it will be ok in my small 16G tank?

Homedog98 said:
For test kits, the API master kit is the best IMO. It's about 32 bucks and is easily worth it. As for suckerfish, ottos are awesome cleaners, they just need well established tanks. Ghost shrimp and nerite will also help clean.

Hey, didnt see your reply, but yea your right. Lol

Thank you for the welcome Mr Limpet.
My tank only has, 5 neon, 4 guppies, 2 platys, and 5 baby platies..(soon to leave to the local petshop) and 1 shrimp now...:(

I have LOADS of Q,s and will bore you all stupid!:oops:
I need advice on the best "cleaner-fish" firstly.. (Always aware I have a small tank.) I had a sucker loach,(It got terratorial..) I also had a beautiful, hardworking Plec,(too large for my tank.) I lost my Plec. I desperately need help on selection of a good cleaner fish.. my tank nitrates went way up when my Plec died and my loach went..
Secondly, best price on a combi water testing kit.. (My latest obsession..) Needed, as a borrowed kit showed Nitrates 20+ Done a big water change, and now 10ish.... ph perfect, and amonia fine.

I find that amano shrimp are the best cleaners, that present little or no bioload and ghost shrimp are good too. Many of the cleaners like otos will help, but they do increase your bioload and it sound like that's something you're well aware of. Here's a +1 for that (y).

I'd highly recommend the API Freshwater (FW) Master test kit, it is the best deal on the market and even though it seems pricey, the net result is you get much better testing at what amounts to pennies per tests.

You just did one of the best things you can do for your fish, a PWC (partial water change and 50% PWC is my norm) and the nitrAtes (no3) at 10ppm is perfect, 20ppm is good and 40ppm is acceptable IMO/E.

karen21 said:
Thank you Homedog! I will look into finding ottos! Can you tell me if they/it will be ok in my small 16G tank?

Easily! You could have 3 or 4 and be fine! They don't get over an inch or two, so you're fine!

Hey, welcome to AA, if you like the shrimp thet have very low bioload to te tank and work very well as a clean up crew, maybe get a couple more.

Test kit wise, API master kit is one highly recommended here. Its not available where I live, but its very good.

Yes, I love the shrimps!!:oops: I find them fascinating.
API test kit, I will remember that, and try and get it online.Thankyou both:D
I DO need a fish that will fill the gap the Plec left though...My stones are going green, and I'm getting algae. I would get another Plec, but as it is a small tank..mmm... I have had 2 Plecs now, and i am worried to get another in case it dies. I haven't had much luck with them, tho they clean so well.. Both Plecs went paler before they died. Any ideas why?:banghead:

Last edited:
Nope, your no2 was fine, plecos, otos, etc will eat algae, but need supplemental feeding to stay healthy (ie algae wafers) and those in turn add to your bioload, not to mention the amount of waste they produce. My amano shrimp (or AES=Algae Eating Shrimp) eat all kinds of algae and need no additional food, since the eat leftover food and even poop to survive/thrive.

Nope, your no2 was fine, plecos, otos, etc will eat algae, but need supplemental feeding to stay healthy (ie algae wafers) and those in turn add to your bioload, not to mention the amount of waste they produce. My amano shrimp (or AES=Algae Eating Shrimp) eat all kinds of algae and need no additional food, since the eat leftover food and even poop to survive/thrive.
Wish the amano shrimp were available in the NW/ UK! Nothing is available in the N/W of the UK..I have written it down, but I know there won't be a local supplier.

Last edited:
One other thing I wanted to add, with shrimp (the one you have for instance) is to put in some kind of moss, like java moss (common here) so the shrimp will have some place to call home, will lay eggs in it, clean it (gotta love that :D) and the moss will use nitrAtes (no2) in you tank as food. So it's a win-win addition.

Here's a site with info on moss: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

EDIT: There's a number of UK members here you should seek out that have shrimp and they can help with local or online availability for AES or anything really.

I am loving this site.
I have a small tank, and it's fine! No snobs! xxx

Having an algae problem then. The first thing is to find the factor causing it, a too long photoperiod (amount of time a day the lights are on) is the usual culprit. Specially if you are not adding ferts.

Thank you everyone.
I have asked about "Ottos," and my local supplier is getting some in next week..
I have bought a combi-kit also1 (ran around every store I could find..!)
I also bought a small Plec.. Maybe not the best idea, but I'll try again..
Shrimps, I am still working on.. I will get a couple when they are available, but living in a small town, will be a case of bugging my supplier!!
ALL my levels are remaining stable at the mo.. Nitrate3, still only at acceptable...
Thank you SO MUCH guys! You are being a great source and support! x

karen21 said:
Thank you everyone.
I have asked about "Ottos," and my local supplier is getting some in next week..
I have bought a combi-kit also1 (ran around every store I could find..!)
I also bought a small Plec.. Maybe not the best idea, but I'll try again..
Shrimps, I am still working on.. I will get a couple when they are available, but living in a small town, will be a case of bugging my supplier!!
ALL my levels are remaining stable at the mo.. Nitrate3, still only at acceptable...
Thank you SO MUCH guys! You are being a great source and support! x

What type of pleco? :(

Back
Top Bottom