Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.West.
Posts: 66
Hi People!

I have an Aquastart 60litre tank.
I've had problems, as I didn't do my research ..
I have learnt a LOT, the hard way unfortunately..
I welcome ALL constructive advice.

Hope I can BE helped, and in the future HELP!
__________________

__________________
karen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Welcome Aboard!

Yep, you're not the first to learn it the hard way (me either :P) and we won't be the last, but it sounds like you're figuring it out and that's the important part.

Tell us about you 16g tank and feel free to ask about anything, as there's lots of people here with a vast knowledge base to help you out.
__________________

__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.West.
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Yep, you're not the first to learn it the hard way (me either :P) and we won't be the last, but it sounds like you're figuring it out and that's the important part.

Tell us about you 16g tank and feel free to ask about anything, as there's lots of people here with a vast knowledge base to help you out.
Thank you for the welcome Mr Limpet.
My tank only has, 5 neon, 4 guppies, 2 platys, and 5 baby platies..(soon to leave to the local petshop) and 1 shrimp now...

I have LOADS of Q,s and will bore you all stupid!
I need advice on the best "cleaner-fish" firstly.. (Always aware I have a small tank.) I had a sucker loach,(It got terratorial..) I also had a beautiful, hardworking Plec,(too large for my tank.) I lost my Plec. I desperately need help on selection of a good cleaner fish.. my tank nitrates went way up when my Plec died and my loach went..
Secondly, best price on a combi water testing kit.. (My latest obsession..) Needed, as a borrowed kit showed Nitrates 20+ Done a big water change, and now 10ish.... ph perfect, and amonia fine.
__________________
karen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,876
For test kits, the API master kit is the best IMO. It's about 32 bucks and is easily worth it. As for suckerfish, ottos are awesome cleaners, they just need well established tanks. Ghost shrimp and nerite will also help clean.
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
andresdeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 741
Hey, welcome to AA, if you like the shrimp thet have very low bioload to te tank and work very well as a clean up crew, maybe get a couple more.

Test kit wise, API master kit is one highly recommended here. Its not available where I live, but its very good.
__________________
10 gallon planted RCS thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ferrerid=36544

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.West.
Posts: 66
Thank you Homedog! I will look into finding ottos! Can you tell me if they/it will be ok in my small 16G tank?
__________________
karen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
andresdeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98
For test kits, the API master kit is the best IMO. It's about 32 bucks and is easily worth it. As for suckerfish, ottos are awesome cleaners, they just need well established tanks. Ghost shrimp and nerite will also help clean.
Hey, didnt see your reply, but yea your right. Lol
__________________
10 gallon planted RCS thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ferrerid=36544

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen21 View Post
Thank you for the welcome Mr Limpet.
My tank only has, 5 neon, 4 guppies, 2 platys, and 5 baby platies..(soon to leave to the local petshop) and 1 shrimp now...

I have LOADS of Q,s and will bore you all stupid!
I need advice on the best "cleaner-fish" firstly.. (Always aware I have a small tank.) I had a sucker loach,(It got terratorial..) I also had a beautiful, hardworking Plec,(too large for my tank.) I lost my Plec. I desperately need help on selection of a good cleaner fish.. my tank nitrates went way up when my Plec died and my loach went..
Secondly, best price on a combi water testing kit.. (My latest obsession..) Needed, as a borrowed kit showed Nitrates 20+ Done a big water change, and now 10ish.... ph perfect, and amonia fine.
I find that amano shrimp are the best cleaners, that present little or no bioload and ghost shrimp are good too. Many of the cleaners like otos will help, but they do increase your bioload and it sound like that's something you're well aware of. Here's a +1 for that .

I'd highly recommend the API Freshwater (FW) Master test kit, it is the best deal on the market and even though it seems pricey, the net result is you get much better testing at what amounts to pennies per tests.

You just did one of the best things you can do for your fish, a PWC (partial water change and 50% PWC is my norm) and the nitrAtes (no3) at 10ppm is perfect, 20ppm is good and 40ppm is acceptable IMO/E.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen21
Thank you Homedog! I will look into finding ottos! Can you tell me if they/it will be ok in my small 16G tank?
Easily! You could have 3 or 4 and be fine! They don't get over an inch or two, so you're fine!
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.West.
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresdeo View Post
Hey, welcome to AA, if you like the shrimp thet have very low bioload to te tank and work very well as a clean up crew, maybe get a couple more.

Test kit wise, API master kit is one highly recommended here. Its not available where I live, but its very good.
Yes, I love the shrimps!! I find them fascinating.
API test kit, I will remember that, and try and get it online.Thankyou both
I DO need a fish that will fill the gap the Plec left though...My stones are going green, and I'm getting algae. I would get another Plec, but as it is a small tank..mmm... I have had 2 Plecs now, and i am worried to get another in case it dies. I haven't had much luck with them, tho they clean so well.. Both Plecs went paler before they died. Any ideas why?
__________________

__________________
karen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some people... GoneFishing Aquaria Off-Topic 14 06-02-2011 09:27 AM
Hello people mattandbenny Member Introductions 2 03-10-2009 09:18 PM
and you wonder why people some people overstock hackteck Saltwater Reef Aquaria 19 03-29-2006 01:49 PM
Hello people! BDAWG Member Introductions 13 04-03-2005 11:49 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.