Hi! Random dude from Maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silthrim

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yeah so I never posted here haha. I jumped right in and started posting in the freshwater sections. So here is my official hello!

So, my name is Josh, I'm from Harford County, Maryland and I'm 20 years old.

About 3 weeks ago I set up a 29g Marineland LED tank with stand from Petsmart. This is my first fish tank ever! 200W heater set to 78F, Marineland Penguin 200B HOB, LED lights (from tank kit), Tetra Whisper 20 air pump hooked to a volcano bubbler. A bunch of fake plants, some rocks, a big fake mountain with cave inside, a java fern, an anubias plant. I'll post pictures eventually lol

It is cycled, finally! I've got:

-1 Angelfish
-1 Male Half-moon Betta named Sebastian (he is awesome)
-1 Peppered Corydora Catfish
-4 Red Wag Platy's (1 female, 3 males FAIL)
-4 Zebra Danios

I've already received some excellent advice from fellow forum members and I expect to acquire a lot more in the future!

EDIT: PICTURES!

Attachments

• Photo Jul 10, 5 59 50 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 10, 5 59 50 PM.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo Jul 10, 6 00 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 10, 6 00 38 PM.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo Jul 10, 6 01 13 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 10, 6 01 13 PM.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 76
Welcome to AA!

You may have some trouble with your angelfish and your beta in the future, just keep an eye out for nipped fins.
And you may want to return 2 of your males and exchange them for females lol,

Welcome to AA!

You may have some trouble with your angelfish and your beta in the future, just keep an eye out for nipped fins.
And you may want to return 2 of your males and exchange them for females lol,

Thanks! I'll just have to wait and see. So far, he doesn't pay any attention to any other fish in the tank. He just swims to the glass to say hi every time I come up to the tank. Sometimes he will chase the platys but I've never seen him actually hurt them. He 100% ignores the angelfish and the angelfish ignores everybody else :p

Ok! Good luck with them!

( just wanted to point it out because i put a beta into a 55g with an angel and some livebearers. A few days later he was tangled up behind my moss wall almost bent in half. When i put him into a breeders box so i could get a QT set up my angel was ripping off his tail through one of the cracks in the breeders box. And i really dont want anyone to have to go through that)

That's terrible! I check them every day and so far I don't see any signs of fighting or bullying. My angelfish is very skittish. Any fish comes near him and he just skips away. It's so fast it's like he's teleporting.

Get some pals for your Cory. They like schools. I agree that u should watch the angel and betta. They may see each other as rivals ESP with their flowing fins

Nice set up. I've seen it in the store many times

Uhm.... This is awkward ...
My name : josh
I live : queen Anne's county MD
I deal mainly in freshwater...

@Gish: Yeah I probably should get some friends for my Cory. He's lonely. I will watch the betta and the angelfish. I'm thinking about getting a smaller tank for my bedroom so I could put the betta in that tank if there are any issues. I'm thinking about getting that new Fluval Spec V (five gallon).

@Tenacious: I must be :) I just started with aquariums so that's where we differ. what stuff do you have?

The Petsmart in BelAir is pretty good, but I think the fish selection at the one in white Marsh is a little better. Toms Tropicals on belair rd in perry hall sometimes has interesting fish and plants. The environment and smell isn't that nice though.

Silthrim said:
@Gish: Yeah I probably should get some friends for my Cory. He's lonely. I will watch the betta and the angelfish. I'm thinking about getting a smaller tank for my bedroom so I could put the betta in that tank if there are any issues. I'm thinking about getting that new Fluval Spec V (five gallon).

@Tenacious: I must be :) I just started with aquariums so that's where we differ. what stuff do you have?

65salr
50freah (long)
20fresh
5fresh
30fresh
A 20 fresh in the drawing bored and
And 337 gal pond in the build

Silthrim said:
You've got me beat 10 fold

Well... The five is at my dads (my parents are together he is in a nursinghome) And my boss had me set up the thirty 4 her but she knows nothing so I do everything but feed them and sometimes even do that so I count it as one of my tanks since I have to maintain and all lol and u will deffinantly grow your collection soon I saw Someone had a quote up here can't remember who ""the correct number of tanks to have is x+1 'x representing your current number of tanks""

That's a lot of work! Haha. The only thing keeping me from growing my collection right now is money :p

Silthrim said:
That's a lot of work! Haha. The only thing keeping me from growing my collection right now is money :p

Same and I work 2 jobs saving for college while growing slowly

Very impressive tank collection triggerfish

I added a 29 gallon tank less than a month after starting a 10 gallon

I hope to go bigger sometime soon ( if the wife allows)

Gish said:
Very impressive tank collection triggerfish

I added a 29 gallon tank less than a month after starting a 10 gallon

I hope to go bigger sometime soon ( if the wife allows)

Haha my mom doesn't mind my addiction so in fine to expand if I pay and im not blowing all my money

Back
Top Bottom