Hi there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am fairly new to the aquarium world. I have learned a lot though in the last few months. I have a 45 gallon tank with a few guppies, a loach fish and a common pleco. I received the pleco from someone who was giving up their tank and I took it. I realize that he will get quite large, but I really like him. I also realize my tank is not going to be big enough in the future so any advice on plecos would be great. I am really glad I found this site. Read a lot of advice on the forum. Glad to be here.

Hi and welcome to AA!!.
Common plecos do indeed get quite large and poop ALOT. When you say any advice on plecos, do you mean other plecos to suit your set-up??

I am interested in knowing whether I can have more than one pleco in my aquarium. What other types are compatible? I have tried feeding him cucumbers and he doesn't seem to care.

Welcome to AA! :)

Your best course will likely be to rehome (trade in) the common for pleco(s) more suitable. There are a bunch of plecos that stay pretty small and would do fine in a 45.

I am interested in knowing whether I can have more than one pleco in my aquarium. What other types are compatible? I have tried feeding him cucumbers and he doesn't seem to care.
I wouldn't add another with the one you have. I would seriously consider rehoming him very soon. Maybe get some store credit for him and buy a Bristlenose pleco. It would be ideal for your tank size. They grow to about 3/5". It is ideal to have some hiding spots for them though, they can be quite shy and tend to come out more after lights off, in my experience anyway. They are very cool looking too!!

Back
Top Bottom