Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Hi thereó fish advice

Hi!
Iím new here and I was wondering if I could get some advice...?!
Ok. So Iíve had cichlids before, ok?! But Iíve only had one. (A two year old red zebra(fred) I first had him in a three and half gallon tank, then when he got too big for that we moved up to a six gallon. And now we have him in a twenty gallon. But thatís not the problem.

The problem is when we got the twenty gallon we got two new cichlids a demisoni (little Ricky) and a bumblebee (Ethel), they were in the same tank at the pet store we went to. And now theyíre locking lips. Is this something they do often?! Because I donít want injuries and Iím pretty sure they are fighting, because the demisoni always chases the bumblebee into the corner.

Should I get a tank divider, or take one out of the tank, until it gets a little bigger?! Or should I just leave it alone, because I know that sometimes it means that they like each other. *wink wink*

Iím really sad, because I was really excited to get these new fish and now they are fighting, but not fighting with Fred the red zebra, who we thought would be the aggressor but nope, Fredís just off in his own little world. To tell you the truth I don't even think he knows that theyíre in there with him.😄

Anyways, if you all could please get back to me that would be great!

Mary

Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Could be fighting - are you able to rehome any back to store?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thumbs down Nope

No, weíve already had them for a few months now and theyíve grown substantially. And I wouldnít want to Rehome them... I love them. Theyíre my fish babies.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like aggression. I'd try a bigger tank to be honest. Africans need to be crowded in a big tank to curb aggression. And they should be in a 4 foot tank minimum. Best case, your fish will get diseased from stress and you'll be forced to seperate them. Worse case, the toughest one kills the other.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! But I read online, if you get them hidey holes that it could relive some of the tension and so far, it looks all good. Iíll keep you guys updated as to what happens!
And as for disease Iím not really worried about that part, because they are all eating well and good. My tank is about 3 and a half feet long and about 2 feet deep so Iím not really worried about the size. I just saw them liplocking and got worried, so I decided to reach out...
Thanks again.
~Mary
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizbella View Post
Thanks for the advice! But I read online, if you get them hidey holes that it could relive some of the tension and so far, it looks all good. Iíll keep you guys updated as to what happens!

And as for disease Iím not really worried about that part, because they are all eating well and good. My tank is about 3 and a half feet long and about 2 feet deep so Iím not really worried about the size. I just saw them liplocking and got worried, so I decided to reach out...

Thanks again.

~Mary

A 20g isnít 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet, and as stated above youíll want a bigger tank for these guys or the aggressive behavior will just return or they will become sick. Thatís also going to be a big bio load for a 20 when they grow a little

Tags
advice, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com