Hi there, new to the forum and somewhere in between new and intermediate fish keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuomiBetta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello there fellow fish lovers! I joined up here for quick and reliable advice on fish keeping since there's not much around me in the physical realm. I recently lost all my fish in a fatal fungal attack and I'm restarting my aquarium for one supremely spoiled betta. In my community tank I had three beautiful platys (Jeremy Irons (Red Wag), Jason Statham (Blue Wag) and Gandalf the Golden (Sunburst) and three Tequila Sunrise guppies (Captain Rum, Vodka and Tequila) This was obviously my first community tank and I tried hard to save everyone (Captain Rum however seemed to have died of old age since he had been slowing down and losing color while being otherwise healthy for awhile. Vodka probably died due to high stress (he was always such a jumpy guppy) or sudden water chemistry changes and was long gone before the dreaded fungus) when I noticed Mr. Irons and Statham fin clamping I dosed the tank with 2.5 mL Melafix and Pimafix and added 1/2 teaspoon of Aquarium salt. Unfortunately the fungus took hold before whatever made the platys sick in the first place cleared up and they went to fish heaven. Sorry for the long post but I think that should help everyone understand where I'm coming from. I apologize if I just post the name of my fish and forget to mention species and variety in advance.

Im sorry for your loss hopefully you have better luck next time. And we welcome you to the forrum!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! (Love the screen name LOL :ROFLMAO: ) I miss them already, but I think it's back to bettas until I get better with aquarium chemistry (and probably a bigger tank now that I think about it)

Yeah i have a 20 gal. Freshwater a 4 gal. Betta tank and im purchasing a saltwater reef tank pretty soon. Losing fish is hard and a waiste of money. But getting over it and trying it again makes things a lot easier. :)

I love Marine fish but I'm simply no good at salt levels so I'll stick with freshwater. Let me know how that goes! Marine fish have such pretty colors :)

Indeed, the corals are just half the reason to get one!

Depends which ones you buy, some can be super easy, others require extra work.

Hmm. Interesting. Hopefully your corals stay healthy! I've always wondered if saltwater set ups needed larger tanks. I live in a teeny apartment so no big fancy tanks for me (it's practically a miracle I got my 5 gallon in here. One day I want a 100+ gallon tank. )

Nope, im getting a 38 gal. And my buddy just got an 8 gal.they can go really small although i wouldnt go lower than 4 gal. Anyone can keep a saltwater tank as long as you have the research, willpower and funds

Oh wow, that's great! Though I imagine for a small tank your fish options are limited and maintaining proper water chemistry must be challenging with such a limited volume of water. (At least, that's the case for freshwater I used to keep bettas in 1 gal tanks poor things hope they forgive me for that! Now that I have a 5 gal it's so much easier to keep things nice and stable. My biggest mistake was keeping an innocent Red-Tailed Shark in a 7 gal tank. Poor thing.)

Yeah the fish options are limited but its more for keeping corals really, cuz believe it or not, the corals can be just as beautiful and entertaining to watch as the fish.

I had no idea corals were so interesting. I learned a bit about them in college for symbiotic relationships but sadly we didn't go into them.

Theyre great. Sooo colorful, as long as you have good lighting.

I have dwarf cichlids, tiger barbs, a gold gourami and a pictus catfish. Maybe a little overstalked.

Nice. My mom is a huge gourami lover she keeps trying to convince me to get one, but I don't think 5 gal is big enough for one (even a dwarf) so I'll stick with a betta. Chiclids are a lot of fun to watch and so bright!

Yeah i love mine, i just bought my betta a new tank cause my other one started leaking.

That would really suck. It has a lid

Back
Top Bottom