Hi there thanks for having me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lollipop93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm pleased to be a part of the community. I have 2 tanks, a small 60litre cold water and a larger 180litre fresh water tropical. Ive been keeping fish for a little over a year now. I recently lost my pleco today, he was bloated and had a prolapsed anus. Poor thing I'm not sure what I could of done. Has anybody seen this before?? IMG_20170923_191838.jpgIMG_20170923_191813.jpg

Thats what I thought. I had no idea how to deal with such a matter. I'm still quite a noob with fish. I do my best to learn what I can but he died so quickly. I'm not having much luck with plecostomous. He is the longest surviving tho. What could I be doing wrong? I'm feeling so guilty ?

Also when I got it out the tank dead, he popped and blood came running out (I'm pleased the fish bag was underneath) I've never seen anything like this

So sorry for the loss of you long time tank companion. Just like with all living things, there are the fun times and the hard times in the circle of life.

In the case of a ill fish or one with a condition you do not know about or comes on suddenly, often there is nothing that can be done. You can check up on what it might be and sometimes it can be helped and sometimes not.

If your water conditions are good with the test, I would still do a partial water change equal to what you might normally do or a little more. and continue on the regular schedule of water changes to keep the water fresh.

If he had a blockage other than constipation you wouldn't have been able to help him much other than put him down but how would you know?

Cooked peas are something which helps the fish with constipation.

I have not seen this exact thing before and not too sure what else other than trying peas.

Always check to be sure that the water conditions are safe by testing it if you have a fish that doesn't look right to you, or isn't acting well.

Welcome Lollipop. If you decide to replace your Pleco, be sure to add a piece of driftwood. A lot of Plecos need driftwood to naw on as to help them with digestion. I keep Plecos in all my tanks. All are varieties that stay relatively small. Remember that a common Pleco will quickly outgrow most home aquariums. Research smaller types such as the Bristlenose.

Welcome Lollipop. If you decide to replace your Pleco, be sure to add a piece of driftwood. A lot of Plecos need driftwood to naw on as to help them with digestion. I keep Plecos in all my tanks. All are varieties that stay relatively small. Remember that a common Pleco will quickly outgrow most home aquariums. Research smaller types such as the Bristlenose.
Great catch!! Driftwood is very important to most of the varieties.

Absolutely driftwood is crucial to digestion. System of plecos. Not worry at least now you have some knowledge as to whenever you get a pleco what is needed. Truley sorry about your loss...

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it. I do have 2 bits of driftwood in my tank. I have been looking at plecostomous veritys that stay under 10cm but it's probably going to be a while until I get a new one. This is my tank currently

IMG_20170921_113717.jpg it's had a top up since I took the picture lol and obviously minus the plec. I bought a gourami and a red tail shark to fill the void

Back
Top Bottom