Hi to everyone from Southport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am brand new to this mind blowing hobby (well it is to the beginner).

I am doing all the research etc at this stage, nothing has been purchased.

I envisage a 100 gallon tank.

Is it possible to have a "Reef Tank" but also include a number of fish, if so which fish would you recommend.

I think i need different light, salinity and temperature if i want reef as opposed to fish only.

I do intend with both options to have live rock in abundance.

Is it better to buy a full systemised tank setup or buy everything individually

I realise that the above will have appeared on numerous occassions in the newbies forum, but any help and advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks
Terry

Hi and .....

welcometoaa.gif

A 100 gallon tank is a great start. I started SW with a 125 reef ready tank. Reef Ready (RR) just means that the tank is pre-drilled for drain and return linesand has an overflow box (or two). It is meant to drain water to a sump (another smaller tank) that sits below the tank and return water back to the main via a pump.

I would buy individual pieces, mostly online and get the tank and stand locally. The big difference between a reef tank and a FO or FOWLR is the light that is requitred. Temp and salinity are about the same, the SG should be slightly higher (1.024 -1.026) for a reef tank.

There are many reef safe fish to choose from, and some questionable ones and some that are do not even think about it. For instance I still have a coral beauty angel that was my 3rd fish. I've had it for 5 years now and it still has not touched any coral. It may one day decide to try it and then it will end up in someone else's tank. I will enjoy it until that day arrives or it meets it's natural end.

Go to the articles section and start reading:
Getting started thread

Cycle your tank (fishless method)
Sumps Explained
and others.

Start gathering a list of equipment, fish and corals you would like to keep. Post those as new threads and wait for the responses.

The best advice I ever recieved here was that "That nothing Good ever happens fast in a SW aquarium". Take your time, read and ask. Be patient and you will have a tank to be proud of.

Best of luck!

Welcome aboard Terry. If I could make a suggestion, post your questions over on the SW forums and you`ll get more answers over there. Cmor already gave you some great answers but for more you`ll need to post over there. Again Welcome to AA

Congrats on doing the research BEFORE buying anything! Many of us learned the hard way about that one. This site will be able to provide you with access to many people who really care about the hobby and have had a lot of experience. Never worry about a question sounding "dumb", because if you don't know the answer, it may affect the lives of your critters. We all look forward to reading about your progress. Welcome!!

Welcome to the site! Personally, I think noob, newb should be auto-corrected ti "curious", "very interested", "would love to learn more"...but that is just me.
Remember, we were all willing to "love to know more" at one point.

Welcome to the site! Personally, I think noob, newb should be auto-corrected ti "curious", "very interested", "would love to learn more"...but that is just me.
Remember, we were all willing to "love to know more" at one point.

Well said!

Welcome to AA, terryf! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom