Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to rlboyce
Hi y'all!

Hi!
I'm Rachel. I've been keeping fish for years but only goldfish with the odd betta mixed in. Trying my hand at my biggest tank and first tropical setup ever.

My boyfriend Brad showed up at the end of October with a HUGE fish tank and the stuff to set it up and says, "You set it up, I'll buy the fish." Added our first 6 (we are now well aware this was a lot...Heh.) fish and set off. We unfortunately, due to lack of knowledge and conflicting information, wound up with new tank syndrome which is currently getting much better, but is how I wound up here. Hoping to get some advice on my current issue, learn a ton, and hopefully be able to share some too.

Can't wait to get involved!!

23 gallons, Aqueon QuietFlow 30, 5 Rasboras (Hank, Dale, Bill, Boomhoward, & Khan), 1 Cory (Inception--pictured in avatar)
rlboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2

You've keep goldfish in the past, but a huge tank is 23 gallons? What did you keep the goldfish in?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to rlboyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewithme38 View Post
You've keep goldfish in the past, but a huge tank is 23 gallons? What did you keep the goldfish in?
Everything from cookie jars (when I was a small child...) to just basic 10 gal's. They always did fine and their water was never seriously dirty--I kept up with water changes pretty well. Plus I usually kept at least 2 if not more when I got to the 10--I kept 6 goldfish and a plecco.

I have a friend with a couple of hundred + gallon tanks and those freak me out. I'm definitely waiting until I have a house where I can have a fish room before I get into stuff that big. 23 has been quite the jump for me and I like it size wise.

23 gallons, Aqueon QuietFlow 30, 5 Rasboras (Hank, Dale, Bill, Boomhoward, & Khan), 1 Cory (Inception--pictured in avatar)
rlboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch! This person is here trying to get more informed. Maybe we could welcome her and encourage her to learn more, rather than crucifying her for past mistakes.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you take advantage of the experiences of others.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
Ouch! This person is here trying to get more informed. Maybe we could welcome her and encourage her to learn more, rather than crucifying her for past mistakes.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you take advantage of the experiences of others.
You're right, i'm sorry OP, the mistreatment of Goldfish kinda bothers me...i wish just people would either research Goldfish before buying them...or at the very least, if they need a tiny tank, buy a betta
Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I can tell you are passionate about it. That's cool. Hopefully the op will be moved to do more research. It's nice that you care for fish so much.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and welcome to the forum Rachel I have also done the same in the past 12 goldfish in a ten gallon now i am much wiser and me fish much happier as yours will be My worst horror story was i kept a goldfish in a bowl in me shed which i forgot about and the weather had been seriously cold.Me mum asked me about the goldfish and with shock and horror I raced out to the shed and found the goldfish still alive,but it was in the centre of an ice cube {best way to describe it - the ice completely surrounded the goldfish}so grabbed the bowl raced indoors {bowls are nice and light to carry}and placed it under the hot tap me mum said let me,an she simply placed the goldfish bowl on the side and as the ice melted removed the ice and replaced with fresh clean water {didn't use dechlorinator though}and the fish survived
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi and welcome to the forum Rachel I have also done the same in the past 12 goldfish in a ten gallon now i am much wiser and me fish much happier as yours will be My worst horror story was i kept a goldfish in a bowl in me shed which i forgot about and the weather had been seriously cold.Me mum asked me about the goldfish and with shock and horror I raced out to the shed and found the goldfish still alive,but it was in the centre of an ice cube {best way to describe it - the ice completely surrounded the goldfish}so grabbed the bowl raced indoors {bowls are nice and light to carry}and placed it under the hot tap me mum said let me,an she simply placed the goldfish bowl on the side and as the ice melted removed the ice and replaced with fresh clean water {didn't use dechlorinator though}and the fish survived
This is why I wish more lfs would push bettas to new people. Goldfish are amazing creatures that deserve Much more care then the newbie can give them. Atleast with bettas they're used to being kept in cups for them a bowl is an upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com