Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Hiya

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm in the process of cycling a 10 gallon fresh water tropical aquarium. Sadly I have been going about it with starter fish....
After reading about the fish less cycle, i want to go about it that way. I just need to find a new home for my poor stressed starter fish.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Welcome to AA! Thts a very sad story. I wish I could help but I have no where to put them. Maybe you could take them back to the pet store if you can. The only things I have empty are a 2.5g which I'm going to use as a planted tank and my 55 which I'm using as a cichlid tank. I hope you can find them a good home and I'm glad you found out about fishless cycling.

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
When I first started out I quickly learned to check the facts. The guy at the pet store said the only way to get it going is to use a live fish, I asked about fish food producing ammonia and he said it won't work. (no I feel stupid for believing that lol)

It may seem cruel but if there are no other options (such as bringing them back to the store or giving them to a friend,) you'll just have to let them endure it. When I set up my first 10g i started with three mollies and 2 platys, and they lived for a long time till the mollies got some disease and died.. (not sure what it was, but only the mollies died)

Mistakes happen but they are the best way to learn IMO.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
welcome to AA~~
either give the fish back to the store, or do your best to keep it alive through the cycling!! fishless or w/fish cycling, they both work.
so if u don't wanna waste gas and drive to the fs, then just keep the fish and let it do its work.

I didn't know much about aquarium when I first start, I didn't even know what the **** is cycling. I just put water, sand, decor and my fishes in, and my freshwater tank is running for couple years now.
my guppies died/give birth, so my tank is full with guppies now~~ rolf.

if u have any questions or don't know if thats the right way to do it, let us know, there r a lot of ppl in here willing to help.
ask before u action, always safe u money n time XP
Old 08-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA. good luck with the tank. you can still cycle the tank wiht the fish. just should do water changes ever day or so.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the welcome! I do indeed have questions, but i will post those in the appropriate forum.
The pet shop i had gotten the fish from wont take them back. One of them had the cotton looking fungus on it. I ended up treating the whole tank with potassium permanganate. I started with 2 mickey mouse platies, and one marble/dalmatian platy. I lost both mickey mouse platies. The marble platy looks good, and i have been doing major water changes daily, atleast 40%. I probably killed some good bacteria with the potassium permanganate, so it more than likey set me back in cycling. Hopefully with the stresszyme, and daily water changes...all will be good with my surviving fish.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscVelocity View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I do indeed have questions, but i will post those in the appropriate forum.
The pet shop i had gotten the fish from wont take them back. One of them had the cotton looking fungus on it. I ended up treating the whole tank with potassium permanganate. I started with 2 mickey mouse platies, and one marble/dalmatian platy. I lost both mickey mouse platies. The marble platy looks good, and i have been doing major water changes daily, atleast 40%. I probably killed some good bacteria with the potassium permanganate, so it more than likey set me back in cycling. Hopefully with the stresszyme, and daily water changes...all will be good with my surviving fish.
IMO the best way is to let nature do what it does, when you add chems to the water and mess with it, it makes it take longer or causes it to not finish correctly. My first tank I went ahead and bought all sorts of bio additives, but when i set up my second tank (seeded from the first one) it went perfectly with no additional chems.

Just thought it would be relevant to throw that in. xD

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I plan to set up my quarantine tank with everything from my cycled 10g..like a part of the filter, water, and some substrate. I'll keep a Betta in there to keep the bacteria fed, and move the Betta in a hanging specimen container while fish are being treated/observed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com