How i am new to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldwater
3ft3inchesx1ft and a halfx1ft and a half

Tropical
3ftx1ftx1ft

Biggest possible tank for the Goldies.

Also you can buy and add the new filter to the tank you are running right now to get the media in it to cycle.

Also since I am not sure if you use filter pads or ceramic rings or stars or something for media, I will comment about this... if you can fit the new filter onto your current tank, you can run them together while your BB builds.

If it will not fit the tank WITH the other one there are a couple more options for a smooth transition for the new tank. You could buy some of the pads or media needed for the new filter and add it to your existing one, if that won't fit you can always get a good start by taking a bag which is used for holding filter media and activated carbon, fill it with the loose media, hang it in the tank next to the intake or outflow. If it is filter pad(s) just add 1 or 2 in the tank in the same area so BB can start growing on it.

Here is the link for the Coldwater fish here on the forum
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

And this is the sticky from there, but you MUST see this and it will help to clear things up about the fish and tank sizes!!!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I think the minimum is 20G for the 1st fish and 10G for each additional Goldy.

The best possible thing for their temp requirements is to separate them. Next best for the time being would be to get as close as you can to the temp needed on the low side for the temperate fish and the highest possible cool water temp. The warmer temp for Goldies raises their metabolism and thus can shorten their lifespan is what I understand as well as make them susceptible to disease/illness.

I kept a couple young ones in my Tropical community tank for awhile when they were tiny and I didn't know any better, then I temp adjusted them until I could get a new tank just for them. They can out fine. But not best for a long term solution.

Last edited:

Also you can buy and add the new filter to the tank you are running right now to get the media in it to cycle.

Also since I am not sure if you use filter pads or ceramic rings or stars or something for media, I will comment about this... if you can fit the new filter onto your current tank, you can run them together while your BB builds.

If it will not fit the tank WITH the other one there are a couple more options for a smooth transition for the new tank. You could buy some of the pads or media needed for the new filter and add it to your existing one, if that won't fit you can always get a good start by taking a bag which is used for holding filter media and activated carbon, fill it with the loose media, hang it in the tank next to the intake or outflow. If it is filter pad(s) just add 1 or 2 in the tank in the same area so BB can start growing on it.

Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

And this is the sticky from there, but you MUST see this and it will help to clear things up about the fish and tank sizes!!!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

The best possible thing for their temp requirements is to separate them. Next best for the time being would be to get as close as you can to the temp needed on the low side for the temperate fish and the highest possible cool water temp. The warmer temp for Goldies raises their metabolism and thus can shorten their lifespan is what I understand as well as make them susceptible to disease/illness.

I kept a couple young ones in my Tropical community tank for awhile when they were tiny and I didn't know any better, then I temp adjusted them until I could get a new tank just for them. They can out fine. But not best for a long term solution.

Thanks that's such a great idea to add new filter to current tank and let it build bb from tank I have up and running I have room for this. All my fish are in the coldwater tank, as soon a I get another filter I will cycle it in current tank. I am really excited about moving my temperate fish into their own tank with a heater. And are happy to have my black moor and oranda live in the 40gallon tank alone. Hopefully this will be enough space for them to grow to full size and potential. I was sold temperate fish and told they can live in both, But then one Aquatic shop told me that Platys are best kept in a Tropical heated tank as they don't live to their full potential in a coldwater tank and their colours don't come out. So I was always going to set up a Tropical tank but I will do it asap now I know my goldies need the current tank to themselves. Cheers Thanks for the advice and the links.

Last edited:

My current filter is a EHEIM pick up with air diffusor. It has a large sponge it was 30 pound wherever possible id like to get the same filter as its really easy to use.

I do 30% water changes weekly and always wash my sponge in old water
no other media no carbon.

Back
Top Bottom