Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How i am new to this forum

Hi

I have a coldwater tank im finding it hard to see any threads about coldwater tanks.

I have 12 fish in a large coldwater tank.

2 Goldfish

1 Black Moor Dave
1 Oranda Hoggle

and 10 temperate fish

4 Danios

A glowlight Danio Sharky
A Leopard Danio George
A zebra Danio Jaws
A light Zebra Danio Don Lino

2 Platys

Black with Orange Delboy
Orange Rodney

3 Cloud Minnows Bob, Spec and Maleficent

and 1 Hongkong Pleco Falcor

Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi welcome to AA what size tank do you have

Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi I have posted to get some advice about whether I have overcrowded my tank.
as im not sure as fairly new to fish keeping. My tank is cycled and 4months old, I have a 3ft 3inches long tank by 1ft and a half wide and tall.

I think that's about 25 gallons but im not sure. I have an internal filter with aeration all fish are healthy and get on v.well, stats are good and I do weekly 30% water changes. I DONT intend to get anymore fish, this is my completed tank

Emma
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1981ma View Post
Hi I have posted to get some advice about whether I have overcrowded my tank.
as im not sure as fairly new to fish keeping. My tank is cycled and 4months old, I have a 3ft 3inches long tank by 1ft and a half wide and tall.

I think that's about 25 gallons but im not sure. I have an internal filter with aeration all fish are healthy and get on v.well, stats are good and I do weekly 30% water changes. I DONT intend to get anymore fish, this is my completed tank

Emma
I would remove the goldfish for sure since they need 30g for the first fancy and 10g for each other one and your tank is around 40g
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks cool, the goldfish are quite young still and I was told they need 10 gallons each. I have another 3ft tank, so I was thinking that when they are a bit older I would move all the temperate fish into the slightly smaller 3ft tank and make it a tropical tank so my Platys reach their potential and keep the two goldfish alone in the tank they are currently in. Would that work? They are soo happy all together I feel id like to keep them all together for little longer.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd hate to split the Oranda and Black Moor up so if I do have to invest in a 4ft tank or something bigger I will when they are a little older. They are babies still.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a spare 3ft tank I could put temperate fish in, just need to get a filter and heater. If you really think my goldfish cant be happy I will do this asap but will my two goldfish be ok if its just the two of them in the 40gallon tank. I don't want to split blackmoor and oranda up.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1981ma View Post
I have a spare 3ft tank I could put temperate fish in, just need to get a filter and heater. If you really think my goldfish cant be happy I will do this asap but will my two goldfish be ok if its just the two of them in the 40gallon tank. I don't want to split blackmoor and oranda up.
Yes move everything except the goldys to the spare tank with the heater and leave the goldys in the current tank but before you do, do you know about cycling a tank?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I do, before I move the temperate fish I would have to set up a new filter I would steal some of the water from the current tank and put into new tank and let It cycle and maybe move the fish over one or two at a time. Maybe starting with the Danios cause they are quite a hardy fish. With my stock as it is, if I moved 4 danios, 3minnows and 2platys to the slightly smaller tank which is 3ftx1ftx1ft. Would I beable to get a couple more of the danios and minnows so they had a few more friends to school with. Could I leave the Pleco with the goldfish cause I heard they like quite cold temperatures?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have images of my current tank on my profile if you want to look

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com