Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how many is too many

My nephew gave me a 20 gallon hex tank with 5 mollies (all but 1 under an inch long) and a neon... so I bought 2 flying foxes (to keep tank clean) and 3 more neons because I heard neons did better in schools. However, now I have 11 fish in a 20 gallon with plants... I don't want them to start fighting. What's the rule of thumb on how many is too many?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The most know is 1 inch per adult fish per gallon. It is a very inaccurate rule but can be used with a grain of salt. In example, the bioload of a neon tetra is so minuscule that they don't make much of a difference. Another fault in the rule is taking into account a tanks "footprint." Some tanks are taller than they are wide creating a smaller footprint for less swimming area. With your current stock I would most likely say you are at the limit, maybe add another neon or two but nothing else besides that. Also if your fish breed don't raise the fry in that tank

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please do not reference the 1 inch per gallon rule. Most fishkeepers scoff at it because it's entirely unreliable unless you're talking about very tiny fish. You need to consider bioload, environmental species needs, compatibility, school requirements, etc. when stocking a tank.

You will need to return the flying foxes. They require a larger densely planted tank. Also, flying fox should be kept as one per tank. They get very aggressive as adults and have been known to kill mollies and other same-sized fish.

Neon tetras are a schooling fish and require a group of at least 6, 8 is better. With the mollies, you don't have room for a school of tetras.

Your tank is actually overstocked right now.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Agree with LyndaB. Plus ... Correct me if I'm wrong, but hex tanks tend to be fairly tall at the expense of horizontal swimming space.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. Any tank with a weird shape cannot be considered to be a true (insert size) gallon tank. This tank is probably equivalent to 15 gallons, if that. You just don't end up with the same real estate.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Please do not reference the 1 inch per gallon rule. Most fishkeepers scoff at it because it's entirely unreliable unless you're talking about very tiny fish.
The op asked what a common rule was, I responded with the most common rule there is and then went on to say that that rule is very inaccurate.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for all of the tips... I'm kind of upset at my local aquarium store because I went in to purchase a tiny pleco & the sales clerk talked me into the flying foxes explaining that they will stay small and are compatable with the fish I have.
I do believe they have a no-return policy.
I have a large, indoor goldfish pond at my work... how do you think the foxes would do in there?
Or... I have a 6 gallon rectangle tank with 2 goldfish in it... should I put one or both of the foxes in with the goldfish? Maybe separating them would help?
Any advice is very appreciated...
Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
There definitely isn't room in the 6 gallon for the flying fox. As stated, they need a larger tank than 20 gallons. Also, the six gallon is much too small for even one goldfish. For fancy goldfish the general rule is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 more gallons for every additional goldfish. They have a very large bioload and get very big. I'd add these to the goldfish pond. I'm not sure how the flying fox would do in the pond, as they are tropical fish and like warmer waters than goldfish do.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

any good lfs should take returns provided the purchase was made recently. if your store won't take them I would suggest finding another one.

I would agree that you're overstocked. mollies will grow to 2-3" and swim all over the place.

I agree that you need at least 5 tetras for a school.

after you lower your population of fishes, you may want to add some bottom dwellers like cories or shrimps
Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As a side note, the plecos mostly aren't tiny. If you are going to look into getting one, check out Bristlenose / Bushy Nose Pleco Ancistrus, they stay smaller 5-6 inches but still have a big bioload, need a big tank, 50% weekly water changes for good health.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com