Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ecr1980
Howdy

Well, I'm dumb and bought some stuff BEFORE doing research, which I hardly ever do, but I did. Anyways, I have a 3 gallon tank with a black moor which I think will eventually have to go into a larger tank. I'll probably get a 10 gallon for him and cycle the tank before putting him in this time. He's in my bedroom. I also bought a 20 gallon for the living room, but I've yet to put anything in it.

My poor black moor has been with me for a few days only and already I've noticed I've had to be very vigilant with water changes to try to keep the ammonium down.

The 20 gallon is going to be cycled properly with store bought ammonium and daily testing.... just as soon as I can actually find some without surfactants in it.

Speaking of that, I found and bought a bottle of ammonium at a hardware store that didn't list ingredients, but doesn't foam when I shake it. Can I be sure it's OK? It only says "no phosphates" but I don't know that all or any surfactants are phosphates anyways. Otherwise it's free from dyes and perfumes. I don't know that the newbie thread is the place for answers so I may post a new thread in another part of the forum if it's more appropriate.

Thanks and hello everyone.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I'm glad to hear your intending on doing a cycle for your next setup.. and that your doing all you can for that black moor from realizing your mistakes the first time. You are probably having ammonia problems because a goldfish even a common goldfish let alone your fancy should not be kept in an aquarium of that size. Until you move him into the 10g, you will constantly be having to do the PWC daily. Even in the 10g you will still be required to do constant pwc in an effort to keep ammonia levels down. He will even quickly outgrow the 10g I personally have a 30g fancy goldfish tank and I keep two in it. Mind you they are both quite large, but so will your black moor if kept in proper conditions. As far as your ammonia dosing questions go, you already have what you need. Just place the old goldfish water in with the 20g, it should have enough ammonia in it already for the good bacteria to start feeding and colonizing

-davE

The Past Is History, The Future Is A Mystery, Today Is A Gift, Thats Why They Call It The Present.
dmoney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ecr1980
Thank you, that's actually a really good idea. I've just been dumping the old water down the tub. No point in wasting it if I can find a use, right?

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could even go one step futher and place one of your old gross slimey filter pads in the tank thats cycling. This will vamp up the cycle considerably more.. as the old filter sponge will be full of beneficial bacteria.. good luck

-davE

The Past Is History, The Future Is A Mystery, Today Is A Gift, Thats Why They Call It The Present.
dmoney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Welcome to AA...
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Sliced Bread

Welcome!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com