Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy =)

I stumbled across this wonderful site awhile back while looking up information on puffer fish (we caught one in a net while at the beach last summer), and I've been a lurker ever since. Finally decided to set up an account so I could interact.
I grew up in a home with more fish tanks than humans since my parents bred fish (and hamsters) for the local pet shop. As I started my life on my own, I quickly discovered I couldn't sleep without a fish filter going- it just didn't seem right! I've had at bare minimum, a tank full of guppies, dojos, and plecos ever since. Currently, there are 2 10g tanks running in my living room... right next to the turtles' tanks (5 RES and a fake map). The bettas have smaller tanks, on a shelf above the turtles large ones.
My husband has been a saltwater nut for years, but life circumstance had him without a tank for awhile. In the past couple of years, we've gotten some tanks up and running saltwater for him as well. My favorite is his 55g with a small stars and stripes puffer =) He also has a smaller 30g with 2 yellow damsels, an orange spotted watchman, 2 choc chip starfish, 2 peppermint shrimp, and some crabs and a blenny we never see.

In addition to our aquatic pets, we have a room full of furry family members as well. Since I live next door to my parents (and 15yr old brother), I somehow became the family zookeeper. We have: 6 guinea pigs, 5 chinchillas (3 are still babies), 3 rabbits, and a sprinkling of rats and hamsters too. There are some cats outside, but I'm going to blame those on my mother.... nevermind the fact that I feed them too if they show up looking hungry... To say that we are animal lovers might be an understatement... lol
Truth be told, mom raised me to take in any stray that needed a loving home, and my kids seem to have the same big hearts. The majority of our animals (not counting fish) have been hard luck cases that needed TLC. I've found they make the best pets =)

MommyShanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
to Aquarium Advice. It sounds like you have all sorts of pets! Very cool!
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! And welcome to AA. V I totally agree with you about rescued pets. 2 of our 3 horses are rescues, all 5 of our cats, and the dog. I do have a parrot who was chosen 28 years ago. I sometimes wondered if other fish lovers also had an assortment of animals and now I see that at least one does. Sowelcome to you and your entire family, human and otherwise.
starquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA!!!!
Aces11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com