Howdy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperFly426

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

Starting to get into fish again. Had a nice 20 gallon setup when I was a young, but since then I've only had a dog. Currently away at college completing my junior year. We have an on-campus apartment this year. Two of my friends and I went in on a little 10 gallon tank. The first batch of fish died off and the tank ended up getting emptied. After Christmas break, I restarted the tank. Since then, I've been taking care of everything and putting all the money into it.

The tank setup consists of the following:

10 Gallon Tank
6500K bubls
Marineland Penguin 100
50w Heater
7 Red Minor Tetras
1 Algae Eater
1 Comet Gold Fish

Also has a few plants that I put in there, but they don't seem to be doing so well. :ermm:

This seems to be a great forum, and I look forward to learning more!

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately the goldfish is going to grow far too large for a 10 gal; ideally it would need a pond. Also goldies are coldwater fish and the tetras and algae eater are tropical. The tetraas are active and should have more swim room than a 10 gal can provide. Do you know what the algea eater is? Chinese Alge Eaters or Siamese Algeae eaters an grow very large and can become very aggressive as they mature.

Also since this is a new tank with fish you're doing a fish-in cycle so you'll need to test the water and do water changes daily. Long-term though the tank will need to be upgraded and/or rehome some of the fish. Here are some guides that may help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Thanks! The 10 gallon is a temporary setup at the moment. I have plans to upgrade to a 29 gallon setup soon.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum too.
Just adding my 2 cents regarding the Chinese algae eater. ...
Mine is 7 years old, 9+ inches long and has excavated the middle 1/3 of my 125 gallon tank, down to the glass bottom, where I placed his cave.

Back
Top Bottom