Howdy from Oklahoma :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kawenu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
To start, my name is Kawenu, but you can call me Kaw or Duck. I just turned 23 on the 3rd of this month, which is how I got my fish, but more on that later. I am an equestrian of 14 wonderful years. I have joyfully bottle raised pet goats, adopted two cats within the last 4 years, and moved forward to a newer horse in October. I also have a rabbit, who is the toughest baby on the planet, no lie. I do and always have adored animals, although as a kid, I had a lot to learn about responsibility. Luckily, like most animal lovers, I grew out of all that and learned how to actually research the care of an animal before getting it!

Another hobby, aside from animals, is art. I don't know that I'm amazing at it, but I love to do it. Sketchy, line, paint, color, whatever! I always love trying new crafty things. As one might guess if they looked into my poor art box, which is stuffed so full I can barely close it. Never done many fish, though. Don't be too surprised if I PM you a drawing of your fish (sorry if it's terrible, it's practice LOL).

Alright, now for all that fishy business. Yesterday, I took my heap of birthday money and dropped it on a 5 gallon kit, supplies, and a lovely little fish, who I've dubbed Ama (ah-mah). Don't have the tank heater yet, which is a long story. I did get his water up to par despite it, however. Going to get a heater in the near future to make it easier on the both of us, though. But anyway! Ama is my first fish since I was like, 11. Looking back, I feel ultra apologetic to my past fish for the neglect they endured. This one, though, has just made my heart swim.

It's very hard to be patient between setting up a tank, getting the water leveled out, and putting the fish in. All I wanted to do was the wrong thing - slam in the water and release the fish into the rather shocking environment. Thankfully, I held out for the little one, and it seems to have really paid off. From the moment Ama realized the enclosure she was put in was waaaay bigger than the cup-of-prison, she seemed to really perk up. Watching her explore was just awesome. 10/10 would do again.

So here I am, a few days later. Ama appears to be pretty cozy in her spacious aquarium. I decided to join a forum, just because why not?

PS sorry for the long introduction :'D

Welcome , and no sorry needed for intro . We like to know about forum members . Just a few questions...what kind of fish is Ama? Did you cycle tank? Do you have water test kit? Again , welcome.

So happy to have you here Kaw. Welcome to the newest responsibility of Ama. We will be pleased to help along the way.

In my signature at the bottom there is a link for an article for keeping fish and getting started. It seems you have been learning already so that is great! There is probably info in there you already know but perhaps some you don't. Plus links for more helpful articles and info to help you.

I would recommend Prime water conditioner if you can get it. Our fish friends are very important and it was nice for you to share.

Thanks, Autumnsky! I'm going to be trying to get some Prime off of Amazon when I can figure out what the deal is with my prepaid card. I'm also on a Betta focused site, but I really like all this fish stuff, so I joined here to get more of my fish on. :p

Excited to see what's all over the site. Glad to be here!

Check out the invertebrates section for fun with some of my favorites!!! (not fish, LOL you might want to get your snail or shrimp on)

Back
Top Bottom