Howdy, just thought i'd introduce myself and ask a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spexor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody. The name is colin but most people call me CP or korky. I just started a 29 gallon freshwater tank about a week ago (advantages of working at a pet store). So far i've got 8 danios (6 giant and 2 gold), along with a pimodella (sp?) catfish and a green severum. The danios are cool, my catfish is dumber than a bag of bricks and my severum is cute as all hell. My one question right now is just a curious observation. I noticed that sometimes my severum (who will be heron refered to as "dorie") is almost entirely a golden color but when she gets agitated (one of the giant danios is a real butthead) or someone taps the glass her stripes come out really black. Is this normal for severums to be able to make their stripes apear and disapear? I really know next to nothing about fish and am learning as i go while asking questions from fish people i know. thanks for any help in advance!

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Is this normal for severums to be able to make their stripes apear and disapear?

Yes it is a stress reaction. The verticle stripes would look like weeds or plants in their natural habitat, so when stressed/frightened the stripes will come back for a sort of camouflage.

Welcome.

Yeah, many fish can do colour changes for mood reasons or camouflage.

Back
Top Bottom