I am a newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryansharkbait

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have done FW my whole life and currently have a 75 gal setup as well as a koi pond with a blue channel cat in it as well.

My 9 yr old son really wanted a SW tank for Xmas, so he got one and we are both very excited. It seems to be a whole different hobby then FW and we have allot to learn. We currently have approx 50 gal set up with sand base and live rock. I am hoping to son aquire a 420 gal tank from work which we will turn into our SW tank. Bigger is better right? !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Thank you shellyx. I've tried a couple different forms but many seem to be pretty inactive. I'm hoping this one is fairly active and helpful!

No don't waste that perfectly good 420 on sw!!!

Sent from my fish tank

Wel:come to aa! :welcome A 420 gal. will be massive! that will easily be $10,000-maybe even $20,000 to get running with decent equipment for SW just to let you know. Fw would be much more feasible financially for a tank of that size. just a recommendation. :)

What's up yWagner n Dallas? The tank I can get for free. We made it at work. I was thinking of making acrylic sumps or a 100gal Rubbermaid tub. My plan would be to use Sam's base (not expensive) and using everything I already have plus a couple big power heads. I would be most of my live rock on 1 side to about the middle to start leaving the rest of the tank for "open swimming" As time goes, I would gradually stay filling the tank worth more rock, corals, fish, extra lighting etc.

I'm a pretty handy individual and a deal shower, craigslist etc. I feel this could be accomplished well under the 10k mark to be up n running sufficiently. (But I could be wrong)

This is why I'm paying though to get some feed back. I want a bad *** aquarium. Worse comes to worse, I could always cut the tank down to half or 2/3 the size.

I'm open for ideas and discussions. ...

Thanks,

Ryan

Sounds like you are determined for that saltwater, but as a final push to get u to do fw, just think of all the diverse fish u could get. Think of all the pikes payara, even barracudas that are possible. There are also many fish that used to be saltwater but over time adapted to freshwater as well. Certain types of eels have acclimated to fw, along with flounder, and even some corals

Sent from my fish tank

Its just that the price isn't feasible for most people and I didn't want you to dive in without knowing what you were getting into. If you don't skimp on nice equipment you should end up with a hie tank. a tank that size everything is a whole different animal. Good luck. (y)

I know. I'm still pretty skeptical about it all. My thought is. ...lol. ...this. ..I set it up and have proper filtration, heaters etc. I thinking of doing mainly 1 side all reefed out with adequate lighting etc. The other half, have some live rock corals, but mostly wide open sands base. Possibly for small stingray and other non reefers. ..eventually, over time, I can purchase what I need to expand the coral. I have a busy who has a 120 gal full set up who will sell me EVERYTHING for $300. lights, skimmers, chiller, filter, pumps, etc.

With what I've got, plus all of his equipment, id be off to a good start!

Quick update. ...my $10 receding brain coral is making progress! I've been feeding on a regular basis and he's starting to feed pretty well. I can also see a Lil growth. I'm pretty stoked and how he makes a full recovery. Thanks again for the help. .

Back
Top Bottom