I am a noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josepi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

My name is Joseph, 36 and decided I need to learn some patience. Lol what better way then to impulsively buy a fish tank after going to a restaurant that had one. My daughter wanted a fish so I bought a 20 gallon all in one. It came with the filter and light. I spent some money and bought the quarter inch rock. I bought a whole mess of fake plants and some fake coral. I googled some sites while in line and found out I couldn't put fish in right away so I didn't buy fish for 24 hours. I decided to buy 4 danios' (sp) to help cycle the tank. I also bought a freshwater master test kit some spiruluna fish food and some seed bacteria. I am almost two weeks and my ammonia levels are at .50ppm, my nitrites are at 5.0ppm , my nitrates are at 20ppm with a ph around 7.6. I am getting a good lesson in patience, everytime I check my tank I want to get the levels right. I keep going on sites and some say to change anywhere from 20% to 50% of the water while other sites say not to Change the water. I have learned a lot here and just wanted I introduce myself to the community.

image-666403782.jpg

Welcome. I have 3 tanks, 1 cycled & the other 2 in the process of fish in cycling. Patience & consistency seem to be key. If I'm not mistaken the PWC % depends on your levels, the higher the ammonia level for instance would mean a bigger water change & how consistent the reading is would determine how often. Best of luck, I'm finding the best advice comes from those who have been through the experience which is AA.

Thanks Shellieca I will keep testing and readdress once I have a couple days of reading in a row. The levels spiked once I went to San Diego for this past weekend and asked my roommate to feed the fish. When I came back they were up. I dongle that's what the tank is supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom