I am new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonraho

Aquarium Advice Regular
Heya,

So I have recently been sucked into this whole aquarium thing, always loved fishes and tanks, before now only had a few very small and simple tanks when i was a kid.

So before Christmas I bought my self a small set up, 12 gallon tank, ALEAS/JENECA hang on filter, air pump, LED light (15wat), substrate made from substrate soil and black gravel on top, rocks that came with the tank, few plants and added in a fossil tree stone. I let the tank cycle for a bit then stocked with Tiger barbs and a few cory catfish (small white ones) as well as 4 shrimps (not the small cherry ones, barbs can't bite them, infact the shrimps jump on the barbs when they swim around lol... )

Here's a pic of the set up after 2 weeks.
DSC_0365-e1388936025765.jpg

So after the holidays I decided to get a second bigger tank, as i kept googling planted tanks and aqua scaping and just couldn't resist, plan to stock it with small fish and shrimps, for plants for now looking at the flame moss, jap hairgrass and a few other plants.

Specs of of new tank,

25 gallon
3 liter co2 with bubble output ( looks like stairs going up in a made of glass )
timer for co2 and light
50wat LED light ( 2 power selections )
Eheim filter (no skimmer)
Jeneca hang on filter with skimmer
Substrate made from substrate soil (terra black medium) and under that bottom mineral
Rocks
Drift Wood
Chemicals for chorines etc

So i started to landscape this tank and fill it up with water ( no plants yet ) to see the look and how the drift wood handles. ( driftwood bought at a market, washed and covered in boiling water before use ) they dont float or turn the water brown which is good. But i have noticed a smell that is coming, to me it's like cat pee (ammonia?) others say its like a swamp, my wife says it smells period lol.. Progress pic - will create a post for it =)

Cant seem to find out why the tank water smells like that.. there are no animals or plants and the filters are going to the water isnt still... My first tank never smelt like that, heck it smells rather normal (don't notice any smell)

Anyways its been two days since i filled it, i might do a PWC and check out the wood again tonight.

HAppy to be apart of the community!

Cheers

Jon

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Very nice looking tank!

Welcome. Like your tank.
Hope you get the smell sorted out. Has to be the DW, right?

Welcome. Like your tank.
Hope you get the smell sorted out. Has to be the DW, right?

That's what i thought, but turns out its not, took out the drift wood last night smelt it, and soaked it and smelt the water and it didn't smell, did a PWC about 30% and also checked the external filter, turns out the smell seems to be coming from that :S, although not exactly a pee smell lol.. Tank ran about 8 hours no smell now.

Thanks for the welcome all!

Glad it went away.
Best thing a veterinarian ever said to me was 'you don t always need a diagnosis as long as you get a cure'

Back
Top Bottom