Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i dont really know what im doing but i love my little monster

hi. i have one jack dempsey in a 25 gallon tank. he is almost 3 years old and his name is my little monster. i rescued him when he was a baby from certain death aka my ex (who didnt realize your supposed to take care of fish so he just cept replacing them when they died). i put him in a little 10 gallon tank next to my bed and tried to set it up the best i could not knowing anything about fish.. i fed him pellets untill he was big enough to eat guppies and when we were broke i went spider hunting (his favorite). then for the past year i went to jail and sumhow my mom managed to keep him alive (no idea how though since she fed him once every 3 days and i found him hiding amongst overgrown algea looking very small for a monster). i just got him back to my house and set him up in a new tank, i fed him sum guppies and i think everything will be ok. hes eating well, looks happy to see me and stopped hiding alltogether.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you cycle the new tank you put him in? Would you like some suggestions on how to care for him?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yes please, i definitely need the help! im not sure if i cycled it, how do u do it?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the fist couple days the water was cloudy.... but then it cleared up and i gave him a bunch of guppies, it took him a week to eat them all (24). now the water is super cloudy, ive been changing like 10% of the water every few days and i tried to clean out the tank (hes really messy) but i think the filter isnt really working- i ran out of the refill things that fit in it, i had some old ones you put together yourself that were too big so i tried to makeshift them together but maybe i messed it up.... like i said i have no idea what im doing but im very attached to my monster and want him to be happy so any help you can give would be great- thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1936507159.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	146250   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-786227433.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	146251  

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are a couple great links to get you started.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

And here is a link to a basic overview of the Jack Dempsey species. Jack Dempsey Cichlids

The cloudy water is likely caused by high ammonia or nitrite levels. These are both toxic to fish so You are going to want to do about a 50% water change asap.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome and you've gotten some good info here.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA! We hope ya enjoy
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok so i did a 50% water change a few days ago but it doesnt seem like it helped much, i think maybe i should get a better filter? he looked happier at first but hes back to moping and looks a little pale, hes also rubbing up against stuff in the tank alot like hes itchy or something- i have some ick medicine, should i use that? or maybe im just not putting in the chemicals the right way....
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

oh and he also wont eat the dry food ive been giving him, i looked in the backyard for some earthworms or spiders but didnt find any, i also tried some frozen shrimp but he wouldnt eat that either. i put 24 feeder fish in there a few weeks ago, is there anything else i can give him untill i go back to the petstore?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just frequent water changes are going to be the best thing for him. I would do another 25% today or tomorrow. Then I would get a liquid master test kit. These kits test everything you really need to know about your water conditions and can really help you stop any problems from popping up. You can get them on amazon for around $20. At petstores they are usually closer to $30 but it will be one of the best investments you can make.

Has he been eating the feeders? You could also try to find some crickets

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com