I have a new tank and im new to the group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaisyWife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have 5 guppies 8 neon tetras 1guppies that I don't know what it's called and 3 aquatic dwarf frogs. They are in 10 gallon. Am I crowding them?

Yes that's too crowded. I would try a 20g at least. The guppies will reproduce fast.

Agreed. If they have ever been around a male, they're all pregnant, and will multiply like crazy. I would upgrade to a 30 for a show tank, and keep the 10 for babies, or hospital. That way, you have so many more options, and they will be much happier. :) (also, a friend of mine did the exact same set up(but in the 30 and grew the babies up in the 10) and sold them at 3 months for 2.00 each. He made over $500.)

Agreed. If they have ever been around a male, they're all pregnant, and will multiply like crazy. I would upgrade to a 30 for a show tank, and keep the 10 for babies, or hospital. That way, you have so many more options, and they will be much happier. :) (also, a friend of mine did the exact same set up(but in the 30 and grew the babies up in the 10) and sold them at 3 months for 2.00 each. He made over $500.)

Really?? My guppy babies about a month and a half now. I was thinking of selling them but didn't know if people would buy them! How did he advertise? Fb?

Yup, mostly craigslist, and fliers up around campus. (Basically paid his "fun money" through college) hahaha

He just waited till they got colorful, and said 'pick your color!' Charged up to $5 for the really amazing ones. I'd do Craigslist and put an ad up at your local college. Kids go nuts for them.

(Mine are the same age, how cute!) I have guppy, molly, and betta fry all in the same 20 gallon, all about a month and a half. :)

Yup, mostly craigslist, and fliers up around campus. (Basically paid his "fun money" through college) hahaha He just waited till they got colorful, and said 'pick your color!' Charged up to $5 for the really amazing ones. I'd do Craigslist and put an ad up at your local college. Kids go nuts for them. (Mine are the same age, how cute!) I have guppy, molly, and betta fry all in the same 20 gallon, all about a month and a half. :)

So do you breed all your livebearers in one tank and leave the parents in there? Or how is your set up?

I have a 55 gallon show tank, with the parents. I have a 2.5 with sponge small air driven filter at 80 degrees for the birthing, and first 2 weeks of fry life. Also with a fake plant fry mat thing, just fake hair grass really... And the 20 for fry that are strong enough to free swim and fend for themselves.

After I see the mommas are ready, I cup them into the birthing tank, (no net- had one of them abort cause I used a **** breeder box.....) and after mamma is done, I take her out, back into the main tank, and feed her- and turn off the lights.

The. I feed powdered flake food 6-8 times a day, siphon with air tubing after every other feeding, (just into a 2 liter bottle, when that's full, I dump it, and top off the tank with fresh. Usually about once a week.) I also leave the light on longer. Probably 16 hours a day, at 80 degrees.

Then, all of that extra stuff is to speed up their growth, my 1.5 month guys are about 3/4 of an inch, some are 1". Once they are free swimming, and developing shape, (around 2 weeks) I put them in the 20.

And once they grow out of that, develop colors and such, I'll sell them, or keep the ones I like back into mammas and papas. :)

And more questions, feel free to ask, and what about your set up? What do you do? :)

The pet store told me it would be fine. I don't have the money to get anything else right now. What do I do?

The pet store told me it would be fine. I don't have the money to get anything else right now. What do I do?

The pet stores are almost 95% wrong all the time. They just want to make money! I don't really know unless you want to rehome the fish. Or maybe wait it out.

I have a 55 gallon show tank, with the parents. I have a 2.5 with sponge small air driven filter at 80 degrees for the birthing, and first 2 weeks of fry life. Also with a fake plant fry mat thing, just fake hair grass really... And the 20 for fry that are strong enough to free swim and fend for themselves. After I see the mommas are ready, I cup them into the birthing tank, (no net- had one of them abort cause I used a **** breeder box.....) and after mamma is done, I take her out, back into the main tank, and feed her- and turn off the lights. The. I feed powdered flake food 6-8 times a day, siphon with air tubing after every other feeding, (just into a 2 liter bottle, when that's full, I dump it, and top off the tank with fresh. Usually about once a week.) I also leave the light on longer. Probably 16 hours a day, at 80 degrees. Then, all of that extra stuff is to speed up their growth, my 1.5 month guys are about 3/4 of an inch, some are 1". Once they are free swimming, and developing shape, (around 2 weeks) I put them in the 20. And once they grow out of that, develop colors and such, I'll sell them, or keep the ones I like back into mammas and papas. :) And more questions, feel free to ask, and what about your set up? What do you do? :)

Wow! This is my first fry batch so I don't really have a set up. My babies are only 1/2 an inch. I heard raising the temp can cause problems if they grow too fast. I put my momma in a breeder net until the fry came out, then let the fry in the breeder net for a couple weeks then let them swim around the tank freely like they are now! I plan on moving everyone to my 30 gallon and using the 10 gallon for the fry. I also have a new 75 gallon I just got I'll put my showcase fish in

I'll try to wait it out and see how it goes. Not sure if my husband is willing to let me get a bigger tank. I love him dearly we are just short in cash. Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry to have hijacked your post.

I would recommend looking on craigslist, for a larger tank. I've gotten many free tanks on CL. I'm sorry the pet store lied to you. They will survive, but stress on them can leave them more venerable to infections like ICH. **knock on wood**

From what you've told us, sounds to me like you should return either the tetras or the guppies. I vote the tetras. They are more temperamental- When you upgrade, you can get more fish again. :)

Sorry again, just chatty this late at night I guess. Again, they will be fine in the meantime while you try to find a bigger tank even just a 20 would be a great help. ( or return either the guppies or the tetras) Be sure to watch the water levels, and change the water frequently. OR get a small 5 gallon for your 3 frogs. They don't need an Airstone, so that's one less thing to buy, and 5 gallons are small, and should be fairly cheap. Good luck!

Wow! This is my first fry batch so I don't really have a set up. My babies are only 1/2 an inch. I heard raising the temp can cause problems if they grow too fast. I put my momma in a breeder net until the fry came out, then let the fry in the breeder net for a couple weeks then let them swim around the tank freely like they are now! I plan on moving everyone to my 30 gallon and using the 10 gallon for the fry. I also have a new 75 gallon I just got I'll put my showcase fish in

I PM'd you- so we can give this lady her post back. Haha

Back
Top Bottom