I just joined and so glad to find you fine folks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaisyAnn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I an a 68 year old married female living in West Virginia. When my husband and I first married 32 years ago, we got an aquarium which we just loved. We had beautiful naughty bullying angel fish, neon tetras, and black mollies, a breeding thing and had molly babies which we found fascinating. Two years later we moved and had no aquarium. So thirty years later we started again with a disastrous 5 gallon tank, then a ten gallon tank with neon tetras, Rosbaras, and a Pleco named Mr. Muggles who is very sweet and may have eaten 4 tetras. We aren't sure but there weren't even any bones left. Perhaps they grew wings and flew away. BUT, as the weeks passed my husband said that Mr. Muggles was growing. His 2 inches were now closer to 8"s. We checked at the pet store and, sure enough, there was a sign on the tank saying he could grow up to 24". We stopped his shrimp treats. The tank was so miserable looking that I couldn't bear to see him with no place to swim and my lone tetra lonely and miserable.
Good news! This Christmas our grown son gave us a 36 gallon beautiful tank and stand and helped set it up. We have added 4 new tetras who are so small that my special tetra has babies to look after. We have added 3 speckeled Mollies and Mr. Muggles, of course. The tank is beautiful. Query: I really would love to add those pretty miniature angel fish. Having had mean full size angels who killed each other off, would the miniatures be compatible with the rest of the tank? Suggestions for other types of fish? thanks so much, DaisyAnn :p

Welcome to AA. I've never heard of a mini Angel. Also, a 36g tank is still way too small for a common pleco. Those fish require at least 100g for them to be happy as they reach their full size. Mollies may have a problem in the tank unless you add salt. They are more brackish water fish, but some people have luck with them in freshwater. I would add some more neons. A school of 8 would be great as they like more buddies. Do you have any pics of the tank?

"mini" angels grow to be full size big angels in sometimes as little as 6 months so probably not a great idea. they are also territorial so you might want to wait for a bigger set up. like sverum guy said, your pleco is going to get enormous and will also outgrow your new tank. however, congrats and good luck and welcome!!!

Back
Top Bottom