Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know nothing!

I just got my 9 year old daughter a 29 gallon tank for her birthday. I have never in my life had fish of any kind, so I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give!
So far I have set up the items in the tank including stones, some decorations, a small bubble stone, a bubbling decoration thing, a filter, and someone recommended that I use algae treatment right from the start, so I added that to the water. I do not have a heater (I was hoping not to need one) and I still need to get a light. We plan to introduce fish about a week from now. So here are my questions...
We were thinking of getting 3 - 4 fresh water fish. My daughter says she wants a guppy and a molly. Can these two fish go together? Also what other fish can go with them?
I have heard conflicting info on food and feeding. Is there a universal food that all the fish can be fed or do I need separate kinds for different fish? (I told you I know nothing!) How many times a day should they be fed?
O Lord, what am I getting into??

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

These articles will help you...

Nitrogen cycle:

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Fishless Cycling For Dummies

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you, I'm looking at them now
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This one as well..

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll need to cycle your tank first before adding fish. You'll need the bacteria that will support the bio-load of your fish. The links that I posted will further explain about this.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

And welcome to AA
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrConnie View Post
I just got my 9 year old daughter a 29 gallon tank for her birthday. I have never in my life had fish of any kind, so I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give!
So far I have set up the items in the tank including stones, some decorations, a small bubble stone, a bubbling decoration thing, a filter, and someone recommended that I use algae treatment right from the start, so I added that to the water. I do not have a heater (I was hoping not to need one) and I still need to get a light. We plan to introduce fish about a week from now. So here are my questions...
We were thinking of getting 3 - 4 fresh water fish. My daughter says she wants a guppy and a molly. Can these two fish go together? Also what other fish can go with them?
I have heard conflicting info on food and feeding. Is there a universal food that all the fish can be fed or do I need separate kinds for different fish? (I told you I know nothing!) How many times a day should they be fed?
O Lord, what am I getting into??
to AA. The articles from Roydooms are important. Proper cycling (building up beneficial bacteria) will be critical saving you time and money from having to buy new fish because others died. Cycling is also the most intensive where 80%(IMO) of the labor is done (ex. 50% PWC's). Once a tank is cycled, you just need to do weekly smaller water changes.

Fishless cycling is the most humane method recommended by AA members.
You can also use this time to better research info about the fish you want to keep .. and AA members will gladly answer your questions.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA, don't panic we all started out knowing nothing. You did the smartest thing by joining up here and asking questions. Your a step ahead of a lot of people by asking before adding fish.
My Grandson and I do all the fish stuff together (except the research) and it makes for great quality time together. We started the fish thing for his 4th B-Day, Casey will be 11 in Nov.
It started with 1 fish & a 10g tank. We now have 2 55g tanks 22 fish, 2 10g tanks 17 1 month old fry and 2 of our female fish ready to have more fry any day now. It's a wonderful way to spend time with your family.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, this is cool Everyone is so nice and friendly.

@roydooms... The articles are just what I needed. I have been looking up articles online for the past week and finding conflicting information on many subjects. It sure is helpful to find actual people to help point me in the right direction. Any thoughts on starter fish? I'm looking for something hardy & relatively low maintenance...would the guppy & molly be a good jumping off point?

@jcolon...I am definitely going to do fishless cycling- I'm all about doing it right & my goal is to keep the lil buggers alive. No disposable income here Speaking of $$...One article said you can use a chunk of raw fish to start the cycling process - it's looking like the most attractive option since I have a hunk of salmon in the freezer. Would you recommend this?

@WendiDell...I'm very much looking forward to learning as I go & sharing the experience with my daughter. At this point, she is already so proud of her tank, even with no fish in it, that she sits next to it and just watches the bubbles!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA! As Wendidell said you've taken a bigger step than a lot of people by trying to find as much info as possible BEFORE you started. My tank was a present from the old fart for our wedding anniversary but my 10 year old son loves to help with it, he now knows the nitrogen cycle better than I do so it's educational too lol! He also helped with the stocking although I did have to turn down his request for a Tuna

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com