Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't get discouraged. You'll do fine. It takes a long time to be a pro and a year down the road, your experience will really help someone.

I just started my aquarium after about a 35 yr vacation from the hobby. Forgot and messed up so much... For the 1st 3 weeks. I changed 1/3 water daily. Now, I'm doing 1/4 daily. Always with quick start added. I'm waiting fory master test kit, but I think my cycle is complete. Years ago we just watched the fish to determine the cycle. That's what I did this time. Gill inspection and behavior. (Too close to top or hanging out at bottom for a danio, not good... Change more water... )

You could maybe add a moss ball from petco or LFS. Check the tank and fish it's stored in when you buy it, but maybe it would have some good bacteria on it to help you. People have posted to squeeze them good before putting them in your tank and the to squeeze and reroll them in your hands once a week.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

[QUOTE=
You could maybe add a moss ball from petco or LFS. Check the tank and fish it's stored in when you buy it, but maybe it would have some good bacteria on it to help you. People have posted to squeeze them good before putting them in your tank and the to squeeze and reroll them in your hands once a week.

Good luck!!![/QUOTE]

Be gentle with a moss ball or it will break. I had one between bigger than a baseball and smaller than a softball and I would squeeze it like that and it finally broke, and I waited for a year to see if it would grow together, or make new balls, but no, so be very gentle if you get one. They are awesome, I just bought a new one this weekend! It is good to roll it around so it doesn't get flat, also, I use a (new, used just for aquatics) chop stick.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com