I need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new fish owner, I have a 190l tank (second hand) with 4 platys, 4 Danios and 4 tetras in. To help keep the tank clean I also have 3 amano shrimp. Anyway, I have a few questions that Google just doesn't help me with.

One of my tetras (Ringo) has been having problems swimming. His body keeps floating upwards as he desperatly tries to swim down, he is only pushed down by the slight current caused by the filter. I've had him for just over a week. He is still eating and no other fish are having this problem... what is happening? Is there anything to help prevent this??

I have noticed that 2 of my Danios (one is golden the other zerbra) are not really eating. They consume the food and then almost immediately regurgitate it out and swim away, all the other fish have no problem eating it (and all the Danios came from the same tank in the pet store) is there a reason why they are doing this? Is this normal behaviour?

I am still very confused by both of these occurrings, I'm hoping that you guys be able to help me. I do not want my fish to die after having them for less than a month. I will give you any information if you require it. (I take tests weekly, my Ph levels are fine and ammonia/nitrite is 0, and nitrate Is like 0.1. Thank you

Sounds like it has swim blaster disorder I hope u haven’t lost him already but there’s ways of curing it if not but I leave u to ur own research on that for I am not an expert but try looking more in to that hope u could help

Sounds like it has swim blaster disorder I hope u haven’t lost him already but there’s ways of curing it if not but I leave u to ur own research on that for I am not an expert but try looking more in to that hope u could help
Thank you, he is alive and I am definitely going to look into it. Once again thanks for telling me

I am not an expert but it sounds like the platt has a swim bladder disorder. I think something that could help all your fish is to feed them steamed peas. They are high in fiber and good for helping swim bladder and my fish love them! You should heat them up in water for a few seconds, skin them, and cut them into small enough pieces for all your fish. This probably won’t cure the platt but it should help. I would start treating him with swim bladder meds (maybe melafix). As for the danios I am not sure.

Last edited:
I am not an expert but it sounds like the platt has a swim bladder disorder. I think something that could help all your fish is to feed them steamed peas. They are high in fiber and good for helping swim bladder and my fish love them! You should heat them up in water for a few seconds, skin them, and cut them into small enough pieces for all your fish. This probably won’t cure the platt but it should help. I would start treating him with swim bladder meds (maybe melafix). As for the danios I am not sure.
Thank you for the advice, I will get some peas prepared at their dinner time! I will buy some medicine at the pet store. Thank you very much for the advice. Appreciate it. Hope you have a good day

Back
Top Bottom