I Need The Best Advice PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ml-logan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All!

I want to set up a nice, yet not overly expensive freshwater aquarium. I have always liked Bettas and other colorful fish. That being said I have only just had a male betta in a single fish bowl basically. I would like to advance. Again, that being said, I feel like any animal alone will get lonely. I need advice from the ground up. I know I want a “big” colorful betta. What other fish do well with bettas? What kind of “landscape” does my tank need? How big should the tank be? Water temp, filtration, lighting etc? Again I like colorful fish. I don’t want them fighting or hurting each other. Fish species suggestions (as long as they’re colorful, “cleaner” species/animals wanted too, please no frogs or turtles), equipment and upkeep, placement in the home, environmental suggestions will be more than welcome. I am a dog person, have always had them. Again, that being said I just took a new job in a new town. The house I am renting doesn’t allow dogs. 3 bed/2 bath. Moderate windows. Located in south east US. And again, I just moved, I can’t break the bank; but I need some kind of animal/animals in my home. I had to leave my dog with my folks back home but I need animals in my life, especially being in a new place, and I like fish. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Have a great day!

Luke

Last edited:
My whole set up was about 200$ for a betta.
You need:
A 5 to 10 gallon tank
A heater
A filter
A bubbler
Something for the fish to hide in
Something to test amonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH
Water conditioner
Bacteria in a bottle
A net to catch the fish

Bubbler, heater, and filter will say on the box what their max tank size is. You can get heaters preset to 78f which is good for bettas. Decorations are up to you as long as you touch them and they're soft enough to not hurt your fish.

You could also get some guppies, but if you want to put something in with your betta I say get a bigger tank. Getting a bigger tank is sooo worth it. You'll have very little room for decorations in a 5 to 10 gallon.

Here's a list of tank mates for a betta. You can also get multiple females instead. Get a tank bigger than 10 gallons if you want more than one fish. You could also put some plants like duckweed or a little moss ball dude.
https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/betta-tank-mates/#Best_Tank_Mates_for_Bettas

You should research on your own too, take this with a grain of salt I'm a major beginner.

You can get a used aquarium. Bleach clean it and rinse more times than seems reasonable. During Petco dollar per gallon sale you can get a 10G for $10. $25 for an aquaclear filter and a bag of sand for 14. Also stores price match items with large stores and their own online store prices as well which might be cheaper. (check first which they accept)

CL often has these tanks for free or reasonably low cost, and thrift stores too.

Get the one male Betta a 10 gallon and usually they can get along with a few other fish, a Mystery snail or 2 and set it up so there are resting places for the Betta near the top of the tank, a Betta leaf, Betta log (check the inside with your hand to make sure it is smooth and nothing could be a snag for a fin or tail - use a nail file to smooth or exchange it).

If you can set up something larger, a 40G breeder tank you could get some community fish or 20G long or tall would be better than a 10G.

Paint can do wonders for an old sturdy printer stand or office credenza from a thrift store or reStore to use for a stand.

Also consider volunteering at a local animal rescue or Shelter. Since you're new to town there are some constructive ways to occupy spare time.

Check for an Aquarium Society club, members are full of interesting information about fish and good resources for locally raised, usually healthier fish.

Back
Top Bottom