I think I got some bad advice from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny H.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help!! I am an amateur at this! I have a 5 gallon tank. Went to Jack's Aquarium and asked questions and I think I got some bad advice. rinsed gravel in a strainer, put gravel in the tank, added the water and some fake plants and a little ship. Put water conditioner and bio boost in the water. 24 hours later after the water temp was 78 and filter had been running for 24 hours i put 3 tetras in it. next morning one was dead. Was told at Jack's to feed them twice a day. well after feeding them twice monday and once tuesday they still hadn't eaten. so i've been frantically reading on the internet about what to do and this is the first i've heard of cycling. i took my small net and cleaned all the fish food out of the bottom that i could, and now my water is cloudy. The 2 surviving fish have been ok swimming around but the water is getting cloudier. the pump runs all the time, and this is day 3 for the fish and they still haven't eaten. went to jack's yesterday when i first got the cloudy water and they told me to put clarifier in it and it would be fine, well it didn't work. Do I just clean it out and start all over? I have a 6 year old special needs son and the tank is for him and his therapy.

Clarifiers usually are a scam. Now that you have fish in your tank, you would need to do a fish in cycle. Do about 20% water change every week to keep the ammonia down.

will the cloudiness go away? did it come from me scooping through it trying to get the fish food out? and will my fish be ok not eating?

Jenny H. said:
still looking for some much needed help

Hiya! I'm new to this too but I thought I would pass on some of the knowledge I gained from the great members here at AA! The cloudiness is probably due to the food and/or a bacterial bloom. Now that you have fish in the tank you are going to have to do a fish in cycle, I do not have the link handy for ya but if mummaoftwo sees this she can provide that for ya :) or I can dig it up later :) you are in for a lot of daily water changes till your tank is fully cycled which may take weeks, the use of active media can boost the cycle. AngelsPlus.com sells them and they aren't horribly expensive and ship fast. You are going to need an API test kit to monitor your ph, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Ammonia and nitrite ( also nitrates at a high level) are toxic to your fish. I am currently fish in cycling a 55 gallon. I hope I answered some of your questions! Oh and welcome to AA!

Mummaoftwo, I did research and found out that all the info I got at the pet store was wrong, that's why I signed up here to ask questions. I'm sure there is better advice on here than I got. I'm trying to do this for my son, and I won't ask anymore questions.

Why not ask more questions? We are here to help you learn, but i do suggest you read the link because it might have some information your research missed.

Jenny H. said:
Mummaoftwo, I did research and found out that all the info I got at the pet store was wrong, that's why I signed up here to ask questions. I'm sure there is better advice on here than I got. I'm trying to do this for my son, and I won't ask anymore questions.

I'm sorry. Did I offend you? It wasn't intended! Just trying to supply you with some more info. :)

We are just trying to help.

Don't go back to that pet store!

Read the link by mumma

The cloudiness will improve as your tank will build up the bacteria needed to kill off nitrates. It may take up to 6 wks

Just feed once a day. Frequent partial water changes. The only chemical you need is dechlorinater. Your fish won't starve

Agree that a larger tank would be better

Your child will love it once you get it going

Hello!! The cloudiness will go away eventually with water changes, it's possibly a bacterial bloom i recently had obe which took a couple of weeks to clear. Good luck yr son will benefit massively from this tank :)

Hi new to this forum, but not new to the aquatic life. I raise koi and have fresh water. You do have to cycle your tank. I would do a water change for sure.. Do not listen to the pet stores, they are there to sell you stuff. I just got 3 cheap salt water fish, and can't remember the name, and purchased a rock that has been sitting in their tank,so hopefully this will help cycle my tank. You can maybe get someone you know that can give you a scoop of sand from their tank. That would have some beneficial stuff in it. that is why I added the rock. Well good luck to you

Mumma I dont think it was your reply. I think the OP thought your sig was directed toward her.

Back
Top Bottom