Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I want to say hello and thank you.

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Martin, I just got into this great hobby and I have been reading this forums for some time now. Today I decided to register so I can say hello and thank you for all great and usefully information that I was able to gather from this website. Like I said I'm just a beginer but already I decided to go with a no a usual fish.

Right now I have 10 Gallon Eclipse system with one Polypterus Ornatipinnis inside, he was about 5 inches when I got him and now is almost 8 inches and that in just 3 months. I now know that the tank size is way to small for my fish so I would love to see some recommendation on the tank and setup that I might consider for upgrade. I hate to see my fish lacking space.

Anyways Thanks for a lot of great info and I hope to write here more often.

Thanks,
Martin

Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's maximum size is almost two feet, you will need a large tank,... VERY large.

also, Welcome!
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Sliced Bread

Welcome!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ummm...wow...geez, might have wanted to do a little more reading before jumping into that one. You might want to go and sell said fish now, cause your alternative is a huge upgrade. For a fish of that magnitude, I'd be thinking even a 75G might be too small. Personally, I'd feel guilty getting a 100G for him.

You know, there's nothing wrong with "usual" fish. There are some really nice looking tetras out there, that will fit your setup much better. perhaps some serpaes or buenos aries? With a 10G you're not looking for anything much over an inch I would think.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermazz9
Ummm...wow...geez, might have wanted to do a little more reading before jumping into that one. You might want to go and sell said fish now, cause your alternative is a huge upgrade. For a fish of that magnitude, I'd be thinking even a 75G might be too small. Personally, I'd feel guilty getting a 100G for him.

You know, there's nothing wrong with "usual" fish. There are some really nice looking tetras out there, that will fit your setup much better. perhaps some serpaes or buenos aries? With a 10G you're not looking for anything much over an inch I would think.
Thanks for input, the problem is not that I didn't get enough reading because I did but not after I got the fish and I was also advised that for some time this setup will be fine. But now I learned that the guy at the fish place was looking just into selling me the product. I know I will have to upgrade but before I do there is a lot of reading to do and researching. Thanks for advice on the tank size, I was looking into getting something between 75-100.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Every day check the local classified ads and Craigslist. You may be able to pick up a tank that will fit him for a pretty good price. People are always failing at keeping fish and selling their equipment cheap.

Not a perfect solution, but you may get lucky and save some money (or even get a much bigger tank so you can have other fish).
Sidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I found my 55 with a stand $100 on ebay. It was local so I just picked it up. No shipping.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com