I would appreciate some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollypally

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, my name is Polly and I would very much appreciate some advice.

I enjoyed keeping both tropical and cold water fish for many years, after a break whilst my son was young and after moving home a couple of times I am now looking to start again.

Now that we are in a larger house I want to have both cold water and tropical fish, I have found a wonderful aquarium for my tropical fish and will collect it soon so that is no problem. I have also bought a very cheap 4ft tank that I hope to use for my cold water fish, I just could not let it go as it was such a bargain. This is where I need advice.

The tank I have bought is a 4ft marine aquarium with drilled holes, I asked if it would be ok for cold water fish and the seller said that it would be fine, he said that as it had a sump the filtration would be much better for my cold water fish. As I have mentioned, the tank was very cheap and the ad said that it needed some work, the work is that some pipes are missing.

Please can anyone give me a little help? I have googled everything but marine aquariums seem so complicated and I just cannot understand the idea of a sump (mainly because the directions are always directed to someone who knows aquariums already). Is it true that this marine tank with a sump will be ok for my cold water fish? If so will it be difficult for me to find the pipes required?

The tank was so cheap, but it really is a beautiful one with a cabinet, so if it is not suitable I can easily sell it on again but I really like the idea that a sump will give much better filtration and will buy whatever pipes are needed to achieve this.

Thank you for reading and for any advice.
Polly

Best wishes
Polly

Welcome to AA!

Make sure to Wash the tank (with vinegar and water or with a bleach solution) to make sure that most of the salt is gone.

Most of the 'pipes' you are going to need will most likely be at a Local hardware store.

Best of luck,
Enjoy the forum :)

the tank should work fine. people build these things all the time and then you can also buy them prebuilt. Your best option IMO would be to learn the what/where and why your sump is like it is by learning how they work in general. This forum is a great place to start and learn. A few hours here and some of the websites that are linked in this forum will serve you well in your new tank setup. You can do a forum search for "Sump setups" or "how a sump works" or other key words and you will be well on your way. Worst case you can use the holes for a canister filter and get rid of the sump?

If the above dosent work for ya ask the question again in the other parts of the forums and you will get more info.

welcome back and best of luck

Back
Top Bottom