Ich, my poor new aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gr8dne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New here! New to fish! Here's my story...

20 gallon tank, with filter and heater set around 74. We were evidently wrongly advised to start with neon tetra by a 'fish professional' at a local store. Then we added a 'Mickey' platy. All was good for a week or so. Then after one neon died we added some more to add to the school and they were very happy. Then another 'fish professional' from a different pet store suggested adding 3 danios - which scared the life out of 4 neons - and the rest (10 total) dropped one by one after. I removed the danios about 6 hrs after we put them in and returned them. I forgot to mention that after we introduced the danios we discovered Ich - and we have been treating. Now my last fish, the platy, has died overnight.

So now my tank that is only 3 weeks old - is empty. I wonder if we introduced too many fish too soon? How do I proceed from here? Treat for ich again? How long do I wait before trying to add new fish? Is it too early for a bottom feeder? So many questions... We have tested the water with strips and even taken water samples to a local pet store and they say the water looks great.

Thanks, and hello!

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! I would suggest starting by taking some time to understand the nitrogen cycle and how it works. Please check out the guide below and the links it contains to both fishless and fish-in cycling. You will need to decide how you would like to cycle this tank. With ich in the tank (but no fish), just bump up the heat to 86-88f and leave it be. Without a host (fish), the ich will die off within the next 2-3w weeks. While empty, you should add an ammonia source to start the cycling process. If you want to add fish immediately, I would suggest sterilizing everything and starting from scratch. Treating with ich meds will still take 2+ weeks (same as above) and alot of ich meds will harm your good bacteria. I realize alot of this is likely a bit confusing right now but start with the guide then ask any questions you may have! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Million dollar question... Would you recommend I continue to treat the tank/ich, and add fish later, or start over scrub the tank, refill and then decide between fish in or fishless cycling?

Million dollar question... Would you recommend I continue to treat the tank/ich, and add fish later, or start over scrub the tank, refill and then decide between fish in or fishless cycling?

I say start over and do fishless cycle. Fishless cycles are a million times easier for newbies getting started imo. I suggest reading the provided link jlk provided you with above. It will help a ton, then look up an article on fishless cycles.

Do your research and decide what's best for you. Personally, I would just turn up the heat and start adding an ammonia source. In couple weeks or so, you will have a cycled tank that is free of ich. If there are ich meds in the tank, I would remove them before starting. Mind you, this is just my opinion. We will help you no matter what you decide! :)

My tank got ich recently and we are closing up on Day 5 of hiking the temp up to 87 and all signs of ich are gone... Gonna continue treatment for another 10 days tho. No meds used! Just heat! They have loads of oxygen and are very happy. ;0)

Back
Top Bottom