I'll need your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean Irvine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, looking forward to some good advice. I'm new to this but loving so far and fighting the urge to upsize already!! Need more patience.

Hi! Welcome to AA! Fishkeeping is awesome!
What kind of tank do you have? Any fish yet? Did you cycle?

Thanks all

I have a 90L - 20gallon tank with 2 angels, 1 ghost knife, 1 glass catfish, 1 flying fox, 4 rainbow tetras, 2 silver dollars, 1 kissing gourami, 2 flame gouramis and 2 neon tetras (use to be 10 but i believe this death rate is normal). I've lost 1 kissing gourami (from a dodgy shop i think - i'll not go back), 1 glass catfish (wrong food, floating flake works really well for my other fish and he fun to watch eating - a bit like the old space invader game) and a flying fox (in too early). I haven't tested my water but am doing a partial water change every other day now.

Welcome to AA! wow you have to many fish for such a small tank. The first thing they will ask if your tank is cycled. Im guessing not. But good luck.

somewhere i read a clculation on the surface area of the tank versus the length of fish and i'm only two thirds of the way there. my fish are 23 1/2" long in total and the tanks supposedly allows 34". Here's hoping because i have nowhere else to put them!!!

Your ghost fish will grow to 50cm alone. Your angels grow ti be 10 cm. They have a rule that say a gallon per inch of fish. But this is not a rule that applies to all fish.

Thanks all

I have a 90L - 20gallon tank with 2 angels, 1 ghost knife, 1 glass catfish, 1 flying fox, 4 rainbow tetras, 2 silver dollars, 1 kissing gourami, 2 flame gouramis and 2 neon tetras (use to be 10 but i believe this death rate is normal). I've lost 1 kissing gourami (from a dodgy shop i think - i'll not go back), 1 glass catfish (wrong food, floating flake works really well for my other fish and he fun to watch eating - a bit like the old space invader game) and a flying fox (in too early). I haven't tested my water but am doing a partial water change every other day now.
welcome to AA,sorry to tell you,but your tank is horribly overstocked.

Maybe u can upgrade soon :) kinda gives u an excuse :D

somewhere i read a clculation on the surface area of the tank versus the length of fish and i'm only two thirds of the way there. my fish are 23 1/2" long in total and the tanks supposedly allows 34". Here's hoping because i have nowhere else to put them!!!

:welcome: to AA(y)

That calculation is nice in theory .. but it's really meant as a guide. The one inch per fish rule goes right out the window with certain fish ... like goldfish for example. Your fish will grow and will have an increased bio-load, meaning the water will become more and more polluted / dirty.

An upgrade in tank size will be necessary, or rehome some of your stock. What type of filtration do you have? That's another factor ... and a VERY important one ...... to also consider when looking at stocking an aquarium.

See below for signs of fish poisoning ... just things to look out for.
Fish Poop and You: A Primer - Aquarium Forum

Also get the API test master kit and let us know your parameters .. ammo, nitrite, nitrate an pH so we can better assist you.

GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom