I'm a n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjonesej0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm fully aware and unashamed to be a n00b. I'm here to learn and enjoy seeing some great tanks.
I have a Fluval Edge 6 gal with a fiddler crab named squishy in it and two neon tetras, and finally a fish it bought in memory of my last Molly (named Apricot) but Apricot 2.0 looks like death. As soon as she came home she her fakes death, now, after several dollars in Rx, she doesn't have a right fin & I kind of am waiting for her to die so she won't suffer anymore. Or be ridiculed by the neon tetras. Squishy is a Demigod and doesn't like anything except brine shrimp. So yeah.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392783062.951132.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392783100.220887.jpg

Welcome to AA! :)

If the fish is going to die in your opinion, you may want to think about euthanising it rather than waiting. Much less suffering for the fish that way.

How did you cycle your tank? How long has it been running? It looks awesome. I love the hard scape.

I thought about killing it, but I wasn't sure how. I stared at the toilet bowl for 1/2 an hour and all I cod think about was Nemo. I know it's neurotic but it's true.

When I switched from my old tank to this one I put some of the old rocks in the filter area instead of the filter & let that run for several days. I also used about 28% of the old water. It's been running about a month now.

There are many methods and they are many debated as "best". Clove oil seems the "humane" choice since it sedates them, but a sharp knife is much quicker. Some folks use vodka. Search the forum for "euthanasia" and you should have a bunch to choose from.

I have some whiskey, but I think you are correct, a sharp knife is better.
I hope I have the stamina for that. Thank you for your help though.

I have some whiskey, but I think you are correct, a sharp knife is better.
I hope I have the stamina for that. Thank you for your help though.

I put my fish in a net and whack the net off a hard surface... It is instant and easier on your mind as well

There is also always a brick. Crude, but instant.

Sorry your welcome thread turned so dark. What are your future plans for the tank?

No worries about being dark. When Dave Chappell said, "Darkness!" I totally thought he was talking to me. I have the tetras & Squishy the crab. I want to replace the plants but the whole CO2 thing has me really not excited. I like the idea of baby dwarf tears but I don't want to do the CO2 nonsense. I looked at some DIY's, which under normal circumstances I would be excited about, but I bought the tank for the streamlined look. I'm currently looking into other plants that are moss-like and low. I was obsessed with Terrariums a while back & want to create an ode to LOTR. Ultimately. No figurines though, just an underwater New Zealand type aquatic space.

I put my fish in a net and whack the net off a hard surface... It is instant and easier on your mind as well

Thank you for your suggestion.
I did a temperature death.
It was free, swift & my mind is at rest.
After the "bath" I unceremoniously threw him into a pile of leaves near my house. Some amazing chanterelle mushrooms grow there on occasion.

Maybe the additional moisture & nutrients will produce a bumper crop.

There is also always a brick. Crude, but instant.

Sorry your welcome thread turned so dark. What are your future plans for the tank?

Crap. I replied to the wrong post.
Perhaps too much "mourning".
IMPOSSIBLE! There can never be enough whiskey! What is your tank set up by the way? I'm using the app & learning how to navigate it, forgive me if I can find it in the hyperlink depths of your profile. I'm learning.

Back
Top Bottom