I'm a newb (to the site and the fish world)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkpanther180

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a 30 gallon tank running a marineland biowheel 200 power filter. I used aquasafe plus when I set it up and put half the amount of salt the box called for (the pet store said mollies do better with a little salt and glofish are not as tolerant so they said to half it). I let the tank run for 2 days then added 3 lyretail mollies (acclimated them to my water for 2 hours before adding them). It's been about 4 days with no real issue, fishies are doing fine. I read all about the nitrogen cycle and when to test and what to expect, but I have seen none of the expected water values. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels have all remained at 0, they've never increased in the slightest. Is my tank cycling right? I've been feeding them regular flakes since day 2 (I think I give too much though but I'm working on it, its a learning process). Today I turned the filter off when I fed them because its been blowing it around and sinking it all really bad. So bad that my mollies were hanging at the bottom like catfish to eat. I had the filter off for about 5 mins while they ate. Is that ok? It seemed to me that they ate better and more easily. I wanted next to add 2 cory catfish (possibly 1 last molly too) and later do a small school of glofish at the top. When should I start the next introduction, my tank is still really new but all the chemicals are where they should be? I researched all this SO much beforehand and I felt very confident and ready... now that I've actually got it started I feel SO inexperienced and new! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom