I'm a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougsbabygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first tank and may have questions from time to time. I have read alot but still may need help. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bonnie

For example

1. How much does the light need to be on in a 24 hr period?

2. How long before I start seeing the nitrate levels start to rise?

3. What is the optimal temp. needed during the cycling process?

Welcome!

Hi there! Welcome to the forum! I am a"newbie" as well, but I have been reading lots specially at this forum where you are going to get great advice from the experts!!! I just started my 10gal on jan 13th and what I've learned is that we should imitate the daylight cycle...so less than 8 hours of light. To make it easier on yourself, set up a timer. The excess of time having the light on will make to much algae. About cycling and the temperature I leave it to the experts... They also advise you to go to the "Threads" menu and see if the answer to your question is already there...I bet it already is! Welcome again...and happy fishkeeping....I found it fascinating! :D

Welcome aboard. Make sure you ask your questions in the forums. Not everyone comes to the welcome forum.

There is no real need for lighting during the cycling process, however, it would not hurt to turn it on for approximately 6-8 hours (may need a timer for that). Tempurature should be same as usual 78-80 degrees. Nitrates will take some time, possibly 3-4 weeks - depending upon how you are cycling your tank (with or without fish) and whether you have inserted some rock or media from another saltwater tank to seed that tank and get it started or if your using ammonia in a bottle. You will start off with amonia and spike out and the see nitrites develop and spike out and then see nitrate - which is near the final stage of cycling. You can test your water each day to see how its going.:smilecolros:

Back
Top Bottom